CAVU2

2010 JK-R "vaal"

Background

I owned a 1978 Toyota FJ-40 in the Seattle - Tacoma area in the eighties. I had wanted a Jeep but that's what was approved by my dad for my "acquisition". After a few years of high maintenance and (gasp 10mpg) I let the vehicle go for something more economical. Just a few trips into the forest and many ski trips to take advantage of 4WD.

Fast forward to January of 2014 and my acquisition of the '10 JK-R. :D On my second day of ownership my daughter and I took the Jeep out for a little Tonto trail ride and came across ORP, met Diane and the club by the Verde River and from then started attending ORP events and learning about my Jeep.

2010 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon had these notable mods when I bought it:

• 2.5" Terraflex Lift
  • 35x12.5x17 Mickey Thompson MTR
  • Chrome Tip Dual Exhaust with glass packs
  • Chromed Running Step/Bars
  • K&N Cold Air Intake
  • Short Headers

I knew that the chrome step boards were "fake" and were not sliders and they were the first item to be damaged and removed in favor of true steel rubi-rails. Within a year I made these changes:

• Removed damaged plastic chrome running boards & replaced with steel sliders.
  • Removed Cold Air Intake & replaced with stock air box/filter.
  • Removed flattened chromed duals tips and glass packs & replaced with single Magnaflow exhaust
  • Added a Cobra CB with 5' Firestick / 3' Shorty for around town, garaging.

New Jeep:

NewJeep.thumb.jpg.9d2cde0befa479eab2ad461f950c984e.jpg

First Trail Ride:

FirstTrailRide.thumb.jpg.d37dbef495e8252a07b7e364d974420d.jpg

Over the next few years with the jeep I enjoyed multiple trail rides with ORP and reviewed the capabilities of other Jeeps and started to develop a strategy (and savings) for the next "Jeep 2.0" which arrived in May of 2018.

Details on the "Jeep 2.0" ...

Great story about your first adventure out in the Jeep. I remember brazenly walking right over there to introduce myself and give you a business card, which I'm usually too shy to do. You've come a long way in that Jeep, and it's been really fun having you and your family along on some adventures.

After getting rid of the useless chrome step bars and the cold air intake... the next three years were a process of finding out what I wanted from the jeep to make it mine... and prepare it for the type of adventures I wanted to take. I developed a few likes and dislikes and preferences.

Concerns:

1. Weight
  2. Center of Gravity
  3. Range (Small Gas Tank)

Dislikes:

1. Canbus
  2. Engines Performance
  3. Manual Transmission Shifter
  4. Death Wobble

• Exploring...
  • All Weather, Snow, Sand, Rock, Mud, Cinders
  • Fun Trails -Steep, Narrow, High
  • Solo Trail Rides that typically were a long way off the beaten path

Lessons Learned:

1. Suspension not compliant needed lockers to overcome wheel in the air
  2. Used high lift to get off rocks/high-centering...
  3. Gas Tank Too Small, Range anxiety
  4. CB not as useful for communications other than trail rides.

With these things prioritized, and confirmed in my mind I began a process of designing the "end state" in January of 2018 as I signed up for the Gunnison Colorado trip. My concerns were prioritized with weight, for example, as a number one concern. That ruled out heavy steel bumpers for a winch or accessories if I wanted to maintain a light weight Jeep etc. etc.

Great story about your first adventure out in the Jeep. I remember brazenly walking right over there to introduce myself and give you a business card, which I'm usually too shy to do. You've come a long way in that Jeep, and it's been really fun having you and your family along on some adventures.

Thanks Diane! I am so glad you shared the ORP business card! It was so cool that it was the first trail ride in the new jeep (less than a day old). I enjoy riding and learning with all of the ORP club members!

2018 Mods-

January

Old Man Emu Steering Stabilizer

All new bushings

February

Rugged Ridge Evap Cooler Skid

March

TeraFlex JK Alpha HD Hings & Spare Tire Kit

TeraFlex Hi Lift Mount

TeraFlex RotopaX Mount

April

Bushwhacker Aluminum Fenders

Rock Hard Aluminum Skid Plate for Engine and Transmission

Rock Krawler 3.5 X-Factor Lift

Bilstein 5100 Extended Gas Shocks

June

Rock Slide Engineering Dana Diff Guard Front & Rear

Genright Aluminum Front Bumper and Rear Bumper 17 & 13 lbs.

Bulldog 9500 Winch w/ Synthetic

Rigid SAE Driving Lights

Rigid E Series 10" Spot/Flood

Objectives-

Flex Performance

Low Weight

Protection

GR_RearWithTerraFlexHingeHighlift.thumb.jpg.2abba9e1744013e6fc50a5a1d2d4d36e.jpg

GR_Front_1.thumb.jpg.b810c7c5c2e3feda231cbd3d5f459582.jpg

GR_Front_2.thumb.jpg.dc1c833805b96f15132f93f691396779.jpg

GR_ReadwithRotopax2_5g.thumb.jpg.c3e4779aaa80d0941ed0548c240cf492.jpg

Observations on the GenRight Bumpers

1. Very Light Weight at 17lbs front and 13 lbs rear.
  2. Rear LEDs are very bright
  3. Company easy to work with and they are well made
  4. Not at all "bold on" ... required hours of cutting and a bolt "tap" ... instructions for someone smarter than me <-- Kevin's handiness is not super on cutting :rolleyes:

Good write up Kevin. I echo Diane's comments, regarding it's been a pleasure to get to know you and your family, as we explore some pretty neat backcountry... ;)

How is the transmission doing

How is the transmission doing

Good question.

I have done some research. One can readily find the Jump out of Gear (JOG) event posted in many sites for the NSG370 6-speed popping out of gear.

On some sites its the shifter, in the TSB its the inner boot...

Its also my understanding this 6 spd manual relies on the shifter to help keep the transmission in gear. When it pops out under high load it can damage the transmission (you head the "bang" ). It also comes out often under low load and that is annoying off road and more like "sliding out of gear". Feedback from others was address the shifter early to avoid damaging the transmission. For the past year I was very frustrated because I could swear it was in gear and not me failing to put the trans in gear correctly.

Many folks recommended the B&N sport shifter and its very popular on jeep sites as well. Its been on order for about three weeks. It should arrive Wednesday.

As an aside, I've owned manual transmission cars since I started driving. I have never encountered such a situation before where a manual transmission pops out of gear under load. :confused:

Kevin

The new B&M Sport Shifter (#45195) is in! Wow shifting is totally different! It's shorter throw and very stiff and "notchy". No popping out of gear now. if you have a manual and are experiencing "POG" or want to try the sport shifter find me at the next event and give this shifter a try :D