theksmith

JK Wrangler Push-to-Start, Hands-Free Keyless Entry & Remote Start

Thanks. The only mention of a negative output I saw was on the horn output. Apologies if I missed something. Similarly, I saw the commentary about the brake signal acting strange, but it just says it doesn’t work, not the explanation above. Again, apologies if I missed something.

How do you guys find that info? Do you have thorough wiring diagrams or CAN database info for the Jeep?

Andy

I went to fortin’s site and started downloading a number of the Jeep Wrangler working setups. Figured out which one I wanted. I broke the programming port:mad: on try number 2 or 3, and went with the Omega while I got a new fortin. So my fortin is only inline for the serial port to manage the mobile phone start (which I use every day now that its 119*).

On the Omega side, I verbosely copied ken’s work. He did all the hard work. The only difference was the On While Running signal I needed an extra SPST relay and I put hard 12v to the tach signal on the easy guard. I may have used a few different resistors to get to the required resistance on the ignition mux. All that stuff was laying around.

Matt

hey Matt, who's Ken?

- Kristoffer

Ken:

d1686949-ca25-431a-99d0-600df3547ccb_1.546a29488e520b0748165c4c6d69baa5.jpeg?odnHeight=450&odnWidth=450&odnBg=FFFFFF

for using the Fortin bypass and harness instead of the Omega, here's what i came up with...

shopping list

-
Easyguard EC002 alarm/PKE/push-button-start system

-
Fortin EVO-CHRT5 kit which includes the EVO-ALL module and CHR5 T-Harness for JK's

-
Fortin Flashlink programmer

wiring for EVO-CHRT5 + Easyguard + Jeep JK

Easyguard 3P, White "B" (GWR -Out) === Fortin 20P A, Dark Blue A8 (GWR -In)

Easyguard 6P, Orange (Accessory +Out) === Fortin THAR-CHR5 Harness, Loose Yellow Wire (Jeep RUN/ACC +In/Out)

Easyguard 6P, White (Ignition #1 +Out) === Fortin 20P A, Yellow A1 (Ignition +In/Out)

Easyguard 6P, Yellow (Starter +Out) === Fortin 20P A, Red/Blue A9 (Start +In)

Easyguard 20P, White (Door Locks Relay COM +/- In/Out) === Fortin 20P A, Purple A2 (Lock -In)

Easyguard 20P, White/Black (Door Locks Relay COM +/- In/Out) === Fortin 20P A, Purple/White A3 (Unlock -In)

Easyguard 20P, Blue/Black (Door Status -In) === Fortin 20P A, Green A4 (Door Status -Out)

Easyguard 20P, Orange (Brake Pedal Status +In)

=== Fortin 20P A, Black A11 (Foot Brake +Out)

=== *OPTIONAL: Splice into Jeep Brake Pedal Switch 6P, White/Tan (pin #6) (Brake Lights +Out)

Fortin THAR-CHR5 Harness, 4P White & Black connectors, Black (Ground) (Splice in to this)

=== Easyguard 3P, Yellow "C" (GWR Ground)

=== Easyguard 20P, Black (2 wires) (Ground)

=== Easyguard 20P, Yellow/Black (Door Locks Relay NC +/- In/Out)

=== Easyguard 20P, Yellow (Door Locks Relay NO +/- In/Out)

Fortin THAR-CHR5 Harness, 4P White & Black connectors, Red (+12V Supply) (Splice in to this)

=== Easyguard 6P, Red (2 wires) (+12v In)

=== Easyguard 20P, Blue (Oil Path Detection +In)

=== *OPTIONAL: Aftermarket chirp siren, Red (+12v)

*OPTIONAL: Easyguard 20P, Pink (Horn -Out) === Aftermarket chirp siren, Black (Ground)

*OPTIONAL: Easyguard 20P, Brown #1 (Parking Light +Out) === Splice into Jeep 34P behind Passenger Kick Panel, White/Orange (pin #1) (Jeep Driver Parking Lights +In)

*OPTIONAL: Easyguard 20P, Brown #2 (Parking Light +Out) === Splice into Jeep 34P behind Passenger Kick Panel, White/Violet (pin #5) (Jeep Passenger Parking Lights +In)

optional wiring items explained

#1: the "Splice into Jeep Brake Pedal Switch" connection - if you don't do this, you'll always need to press the start/stop button TWICE while holding the brake pedal in order to start the Jeep, or hold the start/stop button for 5 seconds to start it. not a big deal except it's not how most PTS vehicles work so good luck with the people at the car wash or oil change shop!

#2: the 2 connections for "Aftermarket chirp siren" - my aftermarket horn was annoyingly loud when it honked every time i walked away to signal the doors locking. so i disabled the horn confirmation in the Jeep's "Personal Options" and instead wired up
a little 12v siren
under the hood to the Easyguard. now i get a nice chirp when the doors lock. and, if i don't shut a door all the way, it gives 3 quick chirps as i walk away to let me know.

#3: the 2 "Parking Light" connections - i still didn't bother too hook these up. they allow the Easyguard to flash the running lights when you open a door (for safety?). it think it would also let the Easyguard turn the running lights on when you remote-start as an indicator the rig is running. that's how the factory remote-start works and so i may hook them up one day just for that little visual indicator.

Flashlink settings

- i flashed firmware version 74.38 (my module was hardware version 6.0)

- clicked "Expand Options", turned EVERYTHING OFF!

- then only turned ON: A1 thru A12, B1, C1, D2

-
screenshot here...

- NOTE: if you want to experiment with anything, be sure to leave D1 "Standalone Remote Starter" and G "Evo Alarm System" set to OFF. as soon as you turn those on, the inputs & outputs on the module completely change meaning - so your wiring is no longer valid and could even damage the EVO-ALL or Easyguard.

Easyguard settings

- i left the dip switches set the same (all UP except #5)

- i tried resetting the crank time parameter to default (shortest), but the Jeep would not start like that. i had to put it back to the longest setting.

compared to using the Omega module

- pro: the EVO-CHRT5 kit is readily available and inexpensive (whereas the Omega harness is no longer made)

- pro: no need to create the custom resistor pack

- pro: no need for the special delayed-on timer relay

- pro: the Forton wiring harness is overall just simpler/cleaner

- con: the Jeep locks all the doors when you start it...

it's not a huge deal because in typical use, when you open the driver door from the inside after driving somewhere, all the doors will unlock. however, if you start it then haven't yet taken it out of park at least once and turned it back off, opening the driver door from the inside only unlocks that one door and the rest are still locked which can be unexpected/weird.

this is because you have to enable option D2 "unlock before/lock after". otherwise, using the Easyguard's remote-start feature will trigger the factory alarm to start wailing on the horn. the Omega module had an option for just "unlock before" without the "lock after" part, so this problem didn't occur with that module.

so unless i've missed something, i think the Fortin + Easyguard is the way to go!

parting shot with Zumi, my wiring helper:

-M4Hqkt9I1gYXtqSMZxGZjr90OEB7pr-1PS3kK72mrzJ1F0cufbmG7MRrhnHHrYUEt-Wyqjepzr3tWaVeRR6H6Uh3Tbi-Sr-ir0shbubGDSq9Yl2TjWt9_lkTbe9qRcWJPAoRv0sY44JhBTFYx10TVG1XubrxgsqaDuSQBFEnspGOWQxOKE8UfobOFq-GVBcusFueISfSpHfuCVMHvYDqEBfxbFA7NT_deN4NXtVQqft685ty331CJP4bDf4ZIRG9pC0NvSAgLtWdnhnVpZGgTFBdjTjpC6uKLE9z_VqDd8axpDc9ONTWenroR2OxD-g03HNPpzAyfEcPMVuwvZtWl5-IHgloAAs1gIVMkzIiAzLWbWENFv6mzBbRWKpmZWQ7ifKvjm_UHGs7BUA9qygJsHr-8CpSFcYU4rHQULk78qh7vkHvz5D2r54LUYpHrPOKmrMN1KPKN0JDBTofwVnCVb7DADax_RVhMjPikM7aXhQjx7_YlWxZTiSNmCOAWq9cMcnYFSalSXb_PDR5XFKNIKuiCwp3TU1XeQKmbd88ARqVj8hFx5ekiyrgn2oXDgW926ZL9mV-acL1JuSDjijlkxnXtaOQ0CG_cU4LLPzgqKtad56fumXrnn0db79CEja9AW5hivF5Y4AHWbQOgkzf7RBd0q4dI9xZAgutymYUJXpWNiDXlxhTNEvC9Ke_7zOulea7Jdb-NSgd9f5btkB54cLlg=s1024

Sorry bud. It’s been long days at work. Tells me I need to do some wheelin’. I meant Kris.

Nice work in this heat with the fortin. I intend to dive back in once it cools off.

Can you start remotely with the phone and simply press your start button then drive away?

Matt

Sorry bud. It’s been long days at work. Tells me I need to do some wheelin’. I meant Kris.

Nice work in this heat with the fortin. I intend to dive back in once it cools off.

Can you start remotely with the phone and simply press your start button then drive away?

Matt

i was just giving you hard time about the name :D

yes, i can start remotely from my phone using the LINKR + Fortin and then takeover by holding down the Easyguard's start button for the "takeover". however i still need 2 bypass units. i'm just using 2 Fortins now - so i didn't gain anything. i just wanted to see if it would work and document it for other folks since the Omega harness is more difficult to get now.

however, i'm having an intermittent problem with both the LINKR + Fortin and now the Easyguard + Fortin...

sometimes the LINKR doesn't remote start the rig on the first try. this happened even with the LINKR + Omega. i never managed to re-create the issue while i was near the rig to troubleshoot. the app will just sometimes show that it unlocked successfully, but then shows the start failed. a second or third attempt would show success.

have you had any issues with your Teleconnect + Fortin setup?

also, now that i swapped the Omega out for a 2nd Fortin, i'm occasionally getting a partial crank and it doesn't start when i push the Easyguard start button. it's barely pulsing the starter, not long enough for it to actually start. it sounds like an Easyguard timing issues, but i never experienced it with the Easyguard + Omega setup, so i'm wondering if both of my issues are Fortin firmware related.

:sigh:

I never had that exact issue. The linkr from time to time needs a little time to sync with the app. If I press start too soon the app button will hold a blue color and go back to white. As long as I wait for battery voltage to come up green the remote start from the app goes green and the start activates. I use it just about every day before I leave the office.

Matt

Do you guys have accessory mode working in your setups? I have PKE working as well as starting using the Easyguard pushbutton start (using the Fortin module). However, when I push the start button once without the brake pedal depressed, the Jeep goes to ON rather than ACC. I'm having trouble finding any info that explains how the Jeep wiring for ACC vs. ON normally works when using the standard key, so debug is difficult.

Do you guys have any wiring diagrams or info on how ACC vs. ON normally works in the JK?

- Andy

Do you guys have accessory mode working in your setups? I have PKE working as well as starting using the Easyguard pushbutton start (using the Fortin module). However, when I push the start button once without the brake pedal depressed, the Jeep goes to ON rather than ACC. I'm having trouble finding any info that explains how the Jeep wiring for ACC vs. ON normally works when using the standard key, so debug is difficult.

Do you guys have any wiring diagrams or info on how ACC vs. ON normally works in the JK?

- Andy

i didn't bother to hook up accessory mode, so i have the same behavior, i.e. no brake pedal + PTS switch = ignition ON, then i have to press it twice to turn the Jeep back OFF. you should just need another relay and resistor(s) though to get it working correctly...

- ACC mode is triggered by grounding the MUX wire through around 1600 Ohms.

- ON/RUN mode is triggered by grounding MUX through around 600 Ohms and providing +12v on the ignition output wire.

- START happens when you temporarily ground the MUX through around 180 Ohms and still have +12v on the ignition output.

FYI, Jeep's own diagrams refer to the multiplex wire as "Ignition Switch Sense" whereas most of the aftermarket diagrams simply call it MUX. it's pin #1, Violet/Brown on the factory connector. in the Omega harness, it's the loose green wire. i don't remember which one it is in the Fortin harness.

the ignition output is called "Ignition Run/Start Control Output" on the Jeep diagrams and is pin #3, Pink/White on the factory connector.

I love this whole PKE and Push Button Start.  I miss both of these features from my old car.  I am not keen on the walk up to the car PKE idea though.  I walk by my car a bunch of times at home or work and I don't want it locking and unlocking all the time.  I was thinking of doing this more like OEM by having a momentary button on the door handle that interupts the PKE antenna and when pushing the button the circuit is connected and the PKE antenna "sees" the key fob in your picket and unlocks the door.  Locking the door would be like OEM and a button would have to be pushed on the remote or locking the doors once you are exiting the vehicle.  THere are inserts that go into the JK handles that have round holes in them and one of those holes could be modified on the back to hold the button (the hole closest to the door open push button already there would be my choice.  the back could be milled or hollowed out to run the wire that interupts the PKE antenna and then a discreet hole somewhere in the handle would be needed to run wires into the door.  THere are also door handle comlete covers that could be utilized as a way of mounting a button and hiding the wires.  In your opinion do you think an antenna "interupt" button would work as i envision it?