theksmith

JK Wrangler Push-to-Start, Hands-Free Keyless Entry & Remote Start

nice!

does holding the start button down 5 seconds without pressing the brake get it to stay running? what about the remote start fob button (3 secs)?

i do *think* it was that prolong start/crank setting on the Easyguard which got it to stay running... i'll do that config procedure again myself in a little while to see if i can provide any tips - i seem to remember the timing being a little tricky.

Holding the button for 4-ish seconds without brake pedal does start the car, but still cuts out after a second. The fob start seems to last about 5 seconds before it cuts out.

Thanks for retrying the procedure again, soooo close.....

ok, i'm pretty confident that prolong crank setting is what you need at this point. here's what i just tried...

first i followed section 25, step 6, "Back to factory default setting":

- with Jeep completely off and all doors closed...

- pressed the unlock button on the fob to make sure it was active

- opened & closed the driver door

- stepped on the brake pedal and held it down

- pressed the lock button on the fob 10 times...

it's a deliberate press & release with slight pause between each press (1/4 second maybe).
each press gave me a chirp
on the aftermarket alarm horn that i had hooked up to the siren output on the Easyguard.

- then heard 10 quick chirps in a row

- took my foot off the brake

i then opened and closed the door, pressed the unlock button again, and tried to start the Jeep using the big Easyguard button...
it started but shut off after about 1 second as expected.

next i did section 25, steps 1, 4, and 5 (to enter the param settings, extend the crank time, and save the settings):

- pressed the lock button on the fob 5 times. again with this part i would get a chirp after each press.

- heard 5 quick chirps in a row

- waited about a second

note that this part worked differently than what the manual said...

- pressed the remote-start button on the fob once and heard 1 chirp

- waited a half second then pressed remote-start a second time and heard 2 chirps

- waited a half second then pressed remote-start a third time and heard 3 chirps

- waited about 1 second

- pressed and held down the brake pedal again

- pressed the lock button on the fob 5 times, hearing a chirp on each press

- took foot off brake

again after all these steps i opened and closed the door, pressed the unlock button again, and tried to start the Jeep using the big Easyguard button...
it still shut off after a second! however, i repeated all these steps one more time and then it went back to working correctly (i.e. starts and stays running).

no idea why i didn't work for me the first time. i thought i did everything exactly the same the second time, but maybe i took my foot off the brake too quick or some other minor difference.

This is a great write up. Thank you!

I am ready to source all the parts you indicated you used on this, and looking forward to doing this.

Any thought on adding smart phone passive keyless via Bluetooth? Also how bad was it taking the two halves of the steering column shroud off? What did you do to make it easier, if anything?

Matt

ok, i'm pretty confident that prolong crank setting is what you need at this point. here's what i just tried...

first i followed section 25, step 6, "Back to factory default setting":

- pressed the lock button on the fob 10 times...

it's a deliberate press & release with slight pause between each press (1/4 second maybe).
each press gave me a chirp
on the aftermarket alarm horn that i had hooked up to the siren output on the Easyguard.

- then heard 10 quick chirps in a row

i then opened and closed the door, pressed the unlock button again, and tried to start the Jeep using the big Easyguard button...
it started but shut off after about 1 second as expected.

next i did section 25, steps 1, 4, and 5 (to enter the param settings, extend the crank time, and save the settings):

- pressed the lock button on the fob 5 times. again with this part i would get a chirp after each press.

- waited about a second

- waited a half second then pressed remote-start a second time and heard 2 chirps

- waited a half second then pressed remote-start a third time and heard 3 chirps

- waited about 1 second

- pressed and held down the brake pedal again

- pressed the lock button on the fob 5 times, hearing a chirp on each press

- took foot off brake

again after all these steps i opened and closed the door, pressed the unlock button again, and tried to start the Jeep using the big Easyguard button...
it still shut off after a second! however, i repeated all these steps one more time and then it went back to working correctly (i.e. starts and stays running).

no idea why i didn't work for me the first time. i thought i did everything exactly the same the second time, but maybe i took my foot off the brake too quick or some other minor difference.

Hmm, tried this out just now and I can't get any feedback from the system at all. Also looking back at your piezo/LED post, I think I may have wired it in wrong. You mentioned that it's a negative output, should I wire it in backwards then? (red of the LED to COMMON GROUND and black of LED to the Pink output wire?) I was getting faint flashes yesterday, so I assumed I was on the right path. Got the same LED. Maybe I should get a buzzer or something to really be able to capture the output.

Can you also confirm here that you pressed the lock button to change the settings and not the start button, like the manual says. (Saw your note about how it differs from manual, but wanted to make sure that was the difference and not the number of presses required.)

This is a great write up. Thank you!

I am ready to source all the parts you indicated you used on this, and looking forward to doing this.

Any thought on adding smart phone passive keyless via Bluetooth? Also how bad was it taking the two halves of the steering column shroud off? What did you do to make it easier, if anything?

Matt

Taking off the shroud is pretty easy. Just don't ham-fist it like I did and snap it off. There's a few screws on the underside of the shroud, take those off first, the rest will come apart.

Bluetooth would be interesting, would probably need another module installed somewhere along the line.

Hmm, tried this out just now and I can't get any feedback from the system at all. Also looking back at your piezo/LED post, I think I may have wired it in wrong. You mentioned that it's a negative output, should I wire it in backwards then? (red of the LED to ground and black of LED to the Pink output wire?) I was getting faint flashes yesterday, so I assumed I was on the right path. Got the same LED. Maybe I should get a buzzer or something to really be able to capture the output.

Can you also confirm here that you pressed the lock button to change the settings and not the start button, like the manual says. (Saw your note about how it differs from manual, but wanted to make sure that was the difference and now the number of presses required.)

red wire from the LED to a +12v source, black wire from the LED to the pink horn/alarm output wire of the Easyguard.

- lock button 5 times with brake pressed to enter into settings modes.

- then remote-start button 3 times with brake NOT pressed to change to max crank time.

- and finally lock button 5 times again with brake pressed to save settings.

Taking off the shroud is pretty easy. Just don't ham-fist it like I did and snap it off. There's a few screws on the underside of the shroud, take those off first, the rest will come apart.

Bluetooth would be interesting, would probably need another module installed somewhere along the line.

on the JK there are 2 long torx and 1 short phillips screws on the bottom of the column shroud, and then just some plastic tabs/snaps that come apart fairly easily.

Viper sells an alarm that does proximity unlock/lock using the Bluetooth signal from your phone, no idea if it works well.

i'm not aware of any similar generic add-on modules that could easily work with the Easyguard... not saying they don't exist, i just haven't seen one yet. it seems more like companies go either fob (RFID) OR Bluetooth for prox sensors, not both.

on a related note - i have considered adding a smart-phone based remote start since the range on the fob kind of sucks. we'll see how serious i get about it once summer comes! there are 2 or 3 companies with generic modules for cellular based remote start, i was looking at DroneMobile in particular.

i think i would have to get one of their older modules that had direct/hard-wire outputs though. their newer products seem to only have serial interfaces... but in our case the Omegalink has to be in hard-wire mode which disables its serial interface (because it uses some of the same wires).

red wire from the LED to a +12v source, black wire from the LED to the pink horn/alarm output wire of the Easyguard.

- lock button 5 times with brake pressed to enter into settings modes.

- then remote-start button 3 times with brake NOT pressed to change to max crank time.

- and finally lock button 5 times again with brake pressed to save settings.

Yup, wired that in wrong. I'll have to take a look at it again this weekend. Thanks for the update to the sequence.

on the JK there are 2 long torx and 1 short phillips screws on the bottom of the column shroud, and then just some plastic tabs/snaps that come apart fairly easily.

Viper sells an alarm that does proximity unlock/lock using the Bluetooth signal from your phone, no idea if it works well.

i'm not aware of any similar generic add-on modules that could easily work with the Easyguard... not saying they don't exist, i just haven't seen one yet. it seems more like companies go either fob (RFID) OR Bluetooth for prox sensors, not both.

on a related note - i have considered adding a smart-phone based remote start since the range on the fob kind of sucks. we'll see how serious i get about it once summer comes! there are 2 or 3 companies with generic modules for cellular based remote start, i was looking at DroneMobile in particular.

i think i would have to get one of their older modules that had direct/hard-wire outputs though. their newer products seem to only have serial interfaces... but in our case the Omegalink has to be in hard-wire mode which disables its serial interface (because it uses some of the same wires).

Thank you both ...again for all the informatio and feedback. I will come back as my build begins.

More success today, with some other failures....

Got the LED wired in and got the responses from the system. Configured the system and saw all the right flashes at the right time. However, to get this far, I had to do some soldering of the wires and used the 115v outlet on the Jeep without cranking the engine, which I think killed the battery. Jumped it and got it running again, but every time I try to start the system with the push button, the battery drains out again. So now, I'll be using the factory key until I can get a new battery put in. Ordered a Optima YellowTop.

Have you noticed the system putting an extra strain on your battery system? Or is it just my battery/bad luck?

Will update.