jgaz

LED shop lite fixtures

I’ve been wanting to upgrade the lights in my garage bay that I use for a shop.

Originally there was one fixture centered in the space, flush mounted on an 11 foot ceiling.

I’ve tried replacement LED tubes, both with and without a ballast, and either couldn’t get them to work or wasn’t happy with the results.

I found these fixtures online, paid $50 apiece with their cyber Monday discount and free shipping.

https://www.primelights.com/shop/items/the-bolt-2-lamp-led-shop-light-5700lumens-pl-blt44wcl

These lights are designed to allow flush mounting to the ceiling and to be ganged together (not all fixtures are).

I mounted two fixtures, centered in the space, and couldn’t be happier with the improved light.

attachment.php?attachmentid=4045&stc=1&d=1544911832

After screwing around with other options I’m very satisfied with both the price and the quality of the lights.

05FD6431-85FF-4C54-93C1-BF93F87C092A.jpg

Edited by jgaz

nice specs on those, and the shop surely looks bright now!

i upgraded my garage lighting not too long ago as well. i just went with the corded type and some socket-to-outlet adapters since at the time we were renting a house. definitely not as clean of an install, but i was able to easily bring them with me to the new house.

- 2-Pack of Sunco 48" LED Fixtures, 5000K, 4100 Lumen...

- 2 pieces E26 Socket to 2-Prong US Outlet Adapters...

Nka7JTyedKhzp3BwoIxfupd9Hq3DjKSJE7Dy80X-Yn6Ms2sf6EKG8i9njQeRBBubHqgs5-xiBtpMDKLIy1C_1S40lR19g_dEujHeG80yozMHk-0w-xHPSi4HVy-eWjt1sHXwUiQl3xxuBgkLdqcE-qERS1S9fnSP-cdKzGFtv-_jwxTXhVYT_whmG6WQCt-j0sK9enLoLA8jvea0xY9HmCoaTGJISohW6iq-G2_Ct9fHTvrJvzZnpmlnygMWUJ1b59OhP_AlLOAv0eyyjGQq_oM75IBUXFwyUm_NhNrolZm2JgktrLA8Z_D-wJ__nJNx4vbpgnf34GXdZjb0G_rjD3mnOCg9q7a6y6uZtbYLoa_cnPX--LT36p8OVX8_-BO_0Ek0-sWFiUcDCVxz1SPca2_eW8KFj0npLR-q2Vt4Oca1liz9lKMZXxyAPYE4mtP1_PNoRkkqiUzm_DV9MKklngsppsSVQlENCu4WS0ka_DbGXJFZRgfM0lk-mHPE4MWA0FygzKHo6-JbW0Q3eQYDvxz2IdB7ycQbNM-ywACFVdWGmxpyS2qqJC0w8MQgUNUUNtGK9WmHprQkUFVRL68GiVKtEqV2pNmFjZxRcrN_y8vNu753Ot1HlEEzj8937_QhXe8uXkAwkBRDRtM99viipw4bMVwvg1CJxtMl5AVAJFFJfwsXEvieja_H5jPVIBugqwEAh3kfgTEZWLcIog=s800

I like those fixtures.

If/when I replace the pair over the bench I may give those a try.

The older I get the more light I seem to need!:o

nice specs on those, and the shop surely looks bright now!

i upgraded my garage lighting not too long ago as well. i just went with the corded type and some socket-to-outlet adapters since at the time we were renting a house. definitely not as clean of an install, but i was able to easily bring them with me to the new house.

- 2-Pack of Sunco 48" LED Fixtures, 5000K, 4100 Lumen...

- 2 pieces E26 Socket to 2-Prong US Outlet Adapters...

Nka7JTyedKhzp3BwoIxfupd9Hq3DjKSJE7Dy80X-Yn6Ms2sf6EKG8i9njQeRBBubHqgs5-xiBtpMDKLIy1C_1S40lR19g_dEujHeG80yozMHk-0w-xHPSi4HVy-eWjt1sHXwUiQl3xxuBgkLdqcE-qERS1S9fnSP-cdKzGFtv-_jwxTXhVYT_whmG6WQCt-j0sK9enLoLA8jvea0xY9HmCoaTGJISohW6iq-G2_Ct9fHTvrJvzZnpmlnygMWUJ1b59OhP_AlLOAv0eyyjGQq_oM75IBUXFwyUm_NhNrolZm2JgktrLA8Z_D-wJ__nJNx4vbpgnf34GXdZjb0G_rjD3mnOCg9q7a6y6uZtbYLoa_cnPX--LT36p8OVX8_-BO_0Ek0-sWFiUcDCVxz1SPca2_eW8KFj0npLR-q2Vt4Oca1liz9lKMZXxyAPYE4mtP1_PNoRkkqiUzm_DV9MKklngsppsSVQlENCu4WS0ka_DbGXJFZRgfM0lk-mHPE4MWA0FygzKHo6-JbW0Q3eQYDvxz2IdB7ycQbNM-ywACFVdWGmxpyS2qqJC0w8MQgUNUUNtGK9WmHprQkUFVRL68GiVKtEqV2pNmFjZxRcrN_y8vNu753Ot1HlEEzj8937_QhXe8uXkAwkBRDRtM99viipw4bMVwvg1CJxtMl5AVAJFFJfwsXEvieja_H5jPVIBugqwEAh3kfgTEZWLcIog=s800

Kris,

In the literature, if any, that you received with the lights you linked, did they specifically say the fixtures could or could not be flush mounted? I like the way yours plug in since that’s the style I’m using over the benches on the side of my work space.

I looked at one fixture, at Rockler I believe, that said it had to be hung with an air gap. Not sure why since there doesn’t seem to be any real heat source inside the fixture. At least not in the fixtures I purchased. ???

Kris,

In the literature, if any, that you received with the lights you linked, did they specifically say the fixtures could or could not be flush mounted? I like the way yours plug in since that’s the style I’m using over the benches on the side of my work space.

I looked at one fixture, at Rockler I believe, that said it had to be hung with an air gap. Not sure why since there doesn’t seem to be any real heat source inside the fixture. At least not in the fixtures I purchased. ???

each end of the light has 2 keyholes, so i'd assume those are for flush mounting.

wait... i searched the Q & A on Amazon and found this from the manufacturer: We do not recommend to do flush mounting. But, we have had customers report doing so at their own discretion.

if anything, i'd think they run a fair bit cooler than fluorescent tubes and ballasts, so i don't see how it could be a safety issue.