Was curious to know if anyone had any knowledge of trails around the Tombstone area? Going to be down there in June for a few days and wanted to get some exploring and wheeling in. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

There's a trail called Middlemarch Trail near Tombstone that I've wanted to check out, but I don't have any info to share handy. Pretty sure if you google it you'll find something though.

I'm down in that area 3 or 4 times a year and still haven't found any real off-road trails in the Chiricauhas nor the Dragoons.

I did the middle march trail with another group about 10 years ago. IIRC, it was mostly 2wd dirt, with lots of homes going up nearby. I do remember Confederate graves along the trail, I believe it was the Middle march trail. Cochise stronghold is a nice place to check out as well.

Going on middle march road from Tombstone, just before you get to the Dragoons there is a fence opening with a cattle guard on the left. You can go down this road and search for council rock which is on the right side. I can't tell you how many miles back but there is a gate on the right side that sits off the road. You have to hike a short distance to get to council rock. You will also find grind circles and pictographs there. Al and I have camped in that area several times.

I live just west of Tombstone. Middlemarch road is basically graded road that crosses the Dragoons to the Sulpher Springs Valley.

When you pass the cattle guard at the National Forest sign, you can take the left and go over to council rocks ( I have not been that way myself) or you can go straght. The road turns to single lane with room to pass from there on. About a mile up or so, there is a Forest Rd off to the lleft that heads up to China Camp, which is a beatiful hidden oasis in the mountains for camping or picnicking. Going past the road to China Camp, Middlemarch rd heads up Middlemarch pass, with a few short dead end side trals that are fun to explore before the pass. When you go over the pass and start down the Eastern side, when you come to the first switchback to the right, there is a road to the left going up Soren pass. This is a nice easy trail with great views. Once you get to the top, there is a nice area for camping or picnic as well as great photo ops. Continueing on over the Soren Pass, takes you along a shelf road that has a couple of white knuckle washouts that tip you towards the cliff on your drivers side, but you should not have any problem. Take the road all the way to a parking area next to big rocks. We call this place "Shock Rock" and you will see why when you get there and walk around a bit. This is as far as you can go by vehicle. The trail (walk it) continues on, and you will find an awesome mine with huge drifts and shafts in it. There are also old cable ways crossing the trail.

I believe Matt Marine did a write up on both this spot and China Camp a few years back in the Trip Reports. I"m just giving you the basics here. There are geocaches in each of these areas as well if you like to do that.

IF you are going to be at Ft Huachuca, there are quite a few trails on Post (Ft Huachuca) That are fun as well. The back side of the Huachuca Mountains, Bisbee, Sonoita and Patagonia all have trails that range from very easy to very difficult.

Lookup Sierra Vista Offroad on FB, and Cochise Range Riders. They post alot of trail rides and info.

PM me if you want some more detailed info.

Here is a link to Matt's Report on China Camp

https://offroadpassport.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2770&highlight=china+camp

Here is a link to the trip I did with Matt to Courtland ghost town and Gleeson. This is Matt's report:

https://offroadpassport.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3552&highlight=Gleeson

Thanks for digging up those old trip reports by Matt. I tried to find the one about China Camp, but couldn't remember the name. I still want to come down there and explore that Middlemarch road area.