Azoutlaw480

Juniper Ridge - Near Show Low

I had the day off and wanted to go check something out. So I loaded up my pack and leashed a dog, off we went!

I had been looking at this area on GAIA GPS using the USFS maps. There are a ton of trails in this area! This one in particular hadnt been used a bunch this season and was pretty fun.

The trail is south of the 260 about 15 miles west of Show Low. Pretty close for me!

I hiked most of the trail as I was alone and didnt want to push it to hard in the XJ, especially in the snow and mud.

Overall the trail would have been super fun with multiple vehicles. Lots of rutted areas and some off camber climbing turns. The jeep trail ends at a round-about parking area and you then hike up to the lookout.

47063766881_aa09f8f30f_c.jpgJuniper Ridge area by Jason Montes, on Flickr

46424706544_155005d669_c.jpgIMG_1194 by Jason Montes, on Flickr

47148161201_2bccacdeb0_z.jpgtower by Jason Montes, on Flickr

46424706664_bcfa805ce6_c.jpgjuniper pano by Jason Montes, on Flickr

46424706714_8a74f994f7_z.jpggigi and me hike by Jason Montes, on Flickr

46424706794_b20a455d68_c.jpggigi on jeep by Jason Montes, on Flickr

Then on the way home through Pinedale Mortenson Wash was running! I couldnt resist a little splash!

Nice! Gonna go have to check this out. I can't wait for warmer weather and less snow so I can get out and explore around here more.

We're gonna have to plan some camping and wheeling trips.

Darn, I couldnt get the video to work.

i edited it to fix the video... on our forum you just paste in the Youtube URL without anything else and it should take care of embedding the video for you.

thanks for posting your trip report!

Darn, I couldnt get the video to work.

It works.

Nice trip report, pictures, and video! Thanks for sharing it Jason.

I want to plan a Rim Rd (300) multi day trip from Show Low to Forest Lakes!

Camping and all!

Camping and all!

That sounds like fun!

Camping and all!

I am down for that. And apparently if we go a little further down the 260 towards Payson, FR 300 continues on and can take that up to Strawberry. Also, where 300 ends in Forest Lake there’s Black Canyon Lake which is awesome and surrounded by some nice camping spots.

I haven't been active here for a while. I've been up to that lookout, but it's been years. I drove my '97 stock XJ up to it. I used to do a lot of exploring around there, especially right after the Rodeo fire. I would go and cut a little tiny bit of wood now and then from the downed charred alligator junipers. And yes, there's a ton of little roads to explore in there.

FR300 is cool. I think I've taken it almost all the way, both legs. If you go on the western portion that goes on the north of SR 260, I know of a really cool campsite at Promontory Butte.