theksmith

Finally, why there's no V8 option on a Wrangler!

hqdefault.jpg

Tim Kuniskis, North American Head of Jeep, recently revealed the core reason there's not a production Wrangler/Gladiator available with the Hellcat engine:

“Everybody always asks me that question: it fits. You know that. It fits like a glove,” he said.

“But the problem is that it fits like a glove and there is no air space around the engine and the whole external space of the vehicle so you have no crush space; you have nothing that can be used to absorb energy in a crash."

“It is not a problem to put it in - other than emissions and fuel economy - except it would never pass any crash tests, and that’s a problem.”

The crash test issue is somewhat of a revelation, but note he also touched on 2 other regulatory hurdles many people had already speculated were preventing a factory V8 option for the JK or new JL.

The full article is available on the Australian website Drive.

Exactly right Kris.

Federal regulations drive more design decisions than the general public realizes.

Crash tests, especially frontal impact, were a very big reason for the demise of the 4.0L. I believe emission requirements were an issue as well but I have no first hand knowledge of that.

I wouldn’t mind having a Hellcat powered Wrangler.

Exactly right Kris.

Federal regulations drive more design decisions than the general public realizes.

Crash tests, especially frontal impact, were a very big reason for the demise of the 4.0L. I believe emission requirements were an issue as well but I have no first hand knowledge of that.

Spot on response Jim... ;)