subPar

Steering Component Upgrade for JK

So I went and did Box Canyon again today, and rather than take the bypass, I took the more challenging route. All went well but the steering wheel is off by about 2 inches now. Easy fix, but I want to upgrade some of the steering components now. I’m just not entirely sure what to go with to beef it up more in the front. Drag link and tie rod? And has anyone used the drag link flip kits on the JK? I like the idea of less bump steer but not if it means sacrificing strength where the drag link mounts.

usually a drag link flip comes with a raised track bar bracket for the axle, which is important to keeping your steering geometry correct. that whole thing isn't the most necessary mod in the world until you've got maybe 4" of lift.

you can't flip the tie-rod as far as i know unless you get different knuckles.

i plan to get one of the 7075 aluminum tie-rods with offset GM 1 ton TRE's soon - it seems to really be able to take a beating. then i'd also eventually like to get the knuckles that raise the tie-rod, either from Rancho, Reid, or Teraflex.

several places sell the aluminum tie-rod i'm talking about, Barnes4wd, RPM, etc., here's a video:

i also like the look of the Metalcloak tie-rod, it's not aluminum but they have special TREs with less misalignment to prevent "tie-rod flop".

Sweet. Thanks for the info. I’ll check out those tie rods you were talking about. Haven’t had issues yet but that would be a bad one to have break on the trail. I was looking into the drag link flip but not sure I need it/want it now. Maybe I’ll just replace it with something beefier.

FYI, i was looking at Synergy's tie-rod and drag link and they have their own TRE's that match the JK taper so you don't need to drill or ream anything and yet they look even beefier than the GM 1-ton ends which DO require reaming:

PPM-4131-COMPARISON-400.jpg

i had Synergy's drag-link on my WJ with JK axles and it worked well.

...so now i'm leaning towards eventually getting Rancho knuckles and the Synergy tie-rod & drag-link.