gearhead

YJ Torque arm necessary?

Hi All,

I have my skip plate off for T-case repairs on my 1991 4.0 manual trans YJ. I am replacing the transmission mount, but I am wondering if this torque arm is really necessary?

If I remember correctly I can cut the trans mount studs so they are above the bottom of the skid plate, but the stud and bolt for the torque arm is below the bottom of the skid plate and gets bashed and bent on the rocks, hence the motivation to delete it. Do TJ jeeps have this? Thanks in advance! :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=4214&stc=1&d=1560429407

What is a torque arm? Can you post a pic?

Possibly the trac bar? YJ’s had them. Don’t know why, they’re leaf-sprung vehicles.

No, Gearhead is speaking about a provision on the YJ transmission mount that extends out from the mount, and has a bolt and bushings of its own. The picture I found was from a thread on a separate forum, for wranglers, where the poster was looking for advice on how to align the drivetrain with the transmission skid. You can clearly see the mount as well as the bar that comes out from underneath it and has the, for lack of a better term, torque bolt, on its outside edge.

IMG_0019.thumb.jpg.1e4f35744e93616fd4c2a0f6bbcbafae.jpg

is it there to prevent the trans/motor from twisting under the massive torque of the 4.0L?

Sorry all, I forget that basically me and Grunt are the only YJ folks. Apparently it is more of an issue on CJs and not so much on YJ and TJs (see article below). I guess it is supposed to limit twisting under torque, but I'm running a 4.0 with 33s, not a LS with 37s..... :) Thanks.

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/anyone-not-using-torque-arm-their-4-0-a-3132297/

Gear & Grunt,

Torque arm is indeed the proper terminology for this part.

It (along with the rear engine mount located on the trans/t-case, and the two front engine mounts) is intended to help control powertrain movement that could cause;

A- shift linkage(s), to bind against the body and cause the potential for either the trans or the t-case to be bumped into neutral, particularly when in Low Range when powertrain torque is multiplied, with the resulting potential for a loss of control.

B- powertrain movement that could cause contact in other unwanted places. (IE: fan-to-shroud, fan-to-radiator, etc.

Should you wish to retain it for assistance with torque control, may I offer a suggestion?

You might consider using a bolt of proper length & the necessary spacers/washers for spacing, where the bolt head, comes up from the bottom, with the head of the bolt below the skid?

• Like 2

Thanks Ob1jeeper, I am going to try that technique. That is a great idea to keep it out of harm's way! :)