I have a 2015 Mazda cx5 and I am wanting to get into some soft off roading, the catch is my car is fwd. How much help would it be if any at all if I put some all terrain tires on my car? Is that some thing I should upgrade first considering my vehicle is FWD?

Does FWD stand for 'four wheel drive' or 'front wheel drive' on a Mazda CX 5?

Front Wheel Drive

my advice is don't spend a dime trying to turn the CX5 into an offroad machine. no matter what you do, you're going to be severely limited by its lack of clearance, lack of 4-wheel-drive and low range gearing, and the independent suspension. i don't imagine the drive-train is particularly rugged nor that there would be any offroad aftermarket support for the platform (rock rails, heavy duty skid plates, lifts, gearing). does it even have a full-size spare? what about front/rear recovery points?

instead - if you just want to do local trails, you can get an old "real" 4x4 for fairly cheap and keep your Mazda from getting trashed and stuck! otherwise if your concerned with reliability and comfort for longer overland type trips, maybe trade it in on something like a Cherokee Trailhawk, 4-door Tacoma or Wrangler, Toyota 4Runner, etc.

to answer your question, aggressive all-terrains like the well regarded BFG KO2 would definitely improve your traction in the loose gravel/dirt and mildly muddy trails you might encounter. perhaps more importantly, they would have tougher construction so you could air-down quite a bit without worrying about a flat as much as you would with street tires.

a small compressor that can hook direct-to-battery, comprehensive tire patch kit, quality tow strap and some emergency/survival supplies might be better first purchases if you don't already have those things.

your CX5 should probably stick to gravel or dirt semi-maintained forest roads, and maybe some well packed dirt side trails that meander through a flat field.

by all means get out there and start exploring with what you have! just be realistic about your capabilities.