I am not in a position to buy a new bumper winch set up and have it installed so I am looking at options. Are there any recommendations on recovery straps? I am curious about length and break strength more than anything. I saw a few DayStars online that looked decent online, some are expensive some moderately priced of course. :D

I have one but don't recall the brand, however there are tons of options with reviews on Amazon.....

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=recovery+straps&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

Thank you. There is a store here in town that I checked out their online inventory earlier. I always forget about Amazon for some reason. :eek: I don't want to go cheap but don't want to spend a car payment on one either!!:laugh:

FWIW:

For most Jeep-sized vehicles, a 20,000 lb rated strap is plenty sufficient, and is more beneficial for recovery than one of the heavier rated straps, which have less elasticity, and are better suited to larger vehicle recovery efforts...

HTH

IMO, you're really putting your life into the hands of the manufacturer with recovery products... more-so than with most of the other things we buy for this hobby. we've all seen videos of a failed homemade recovery-point or a strap with a metal hook coming apart and flying into someone's windshield or skull!

with that in mind - ARB has decent prices on straps and is a respected brand.

Factor55 has nice recovery related accessories that are all made & tested in the USA. their hitchlink is a great way to get a solid rear recovery point if you have a factory trailer hitch. you can also get Crosby shackles direct from them to be sure you're getting an authentic product. also check out their or Gator-Jaw's soft-shackles.

if you want a local place to buy, check out Sierra Expeditions in Tempe/Mesas. it's been my experience that they only carry quality brands.

Thank you Kris for bringing up the subject of buying quality when it comes to recovery gear.

I have very limited recreational 4wd recovery compared to many members here so I was hesitant to offer advice that basically said, spend $.

I can however offer some advice on shackles based on experience. Buy Crosby!

Yes, there are other shackles available that are just as good, such as Van Beest green pins but Crosby are widely available.

Here is a poor picture of rigging we did on regular basis in the last Dept where I worked before I retired.

If the shackle didn’t say Crosby it wasn’t allowed in the shop.

No exceptions, ever!!

attachment.php?attachmentid=4255&stc=1&d=1564493924

D1A9580F-3761-47AC-8D97-15C7B2A2FE79.thumb.jpg.e29e409385f0d28efcfa7f6e9617fc36.jpg

Thanks for the feedback everyone, I do appreciate it. I was looking at the ARB Snatch Straps, good prices and they have good reviews. I am not sure when I am going to be able to get a winch honestly. I figure I can get the basics so at least I have somethings to use should I get in a bind. Buy them one piece at a time like the song says so I have them before I go on some runs. I was looking at 4 Wheel Parts in Phoenix but I will check out Sierra Expeditions too.