dzJeepChic

97 Dodge Ram leaking from bell housing - but why?

Hey mechanics, especially Chrysler experts: what would cause my '97 Dodge Ram 5.9 to leak coolant from the bell housing?

P.S. Please be gentle with me, I'm very fragile right now. :D

Rear freeze plug is leaking. If one is gone/going, it would be best to replace them all.

Looks like there are 2 back there. The large plug up top is the Camshaft, no coolant there.

attachment.php?attachmentid=4256&stc=1&d=1564623785

2036527826_dodgefreezeplug.thumb.jpg.30153a22d24f331a9f771c05cffc61ff.jpg

What do you think it would cost if I had a shop change all the freeze plugs?:o

MOST LIKELY.... It is what Tim (Curly) said... Sadly, this requires a transmission removal to accomplish the replacement of the back two in the block... :(

HOWEVER... Before going to that extreme, make ABSOLUTELY SURE that this is not a coolant leak, that is dripping from above (IE: from heater, it hoses, or from a possible head gasket... OR... A possible leak from the freeze plugs in the cylinder head(s)...

If ANY are rotted through & leaking, I agree with Tim that ALL should be replaced, and then engine flushed, and fresh coolant added...

I looked all over with a flashlight and the coolant is dripping from inside the bell housing.:(

You can either pull the engine or the trans. Since this is 4wd, I would think pulling the engine is easier, unless you have a hoist/lift (not a cherry picker/engine crane) My labor guide shows 5 hrs to R/R the trans, plus .3 for each core plug. Most shops will charge you labor rate, not a flat fee. Up here in the Verde Valley, labor runs about $100/hr.

I'd forgotten to respond back here, but posted in my build thread instead. Anyhow, a corroded freeze plug was the cause of the coolant leaking out of the bell housing. The truck's been at the shop for several days because, like Curly said, they hat to pull the engine to replace the freeze plugs. We're getting all new freeze plugs and a chemical flush, plus a new distributor cap, rotor, spark plug wires and plugs since it's all taken apart.

2FCHPHRPyjVjkz2B6ZqnVgs2OFvOP0xg3Omr-mWkVuBczhkBq5wC9MEooGleD1J3KrnE7KAOs_AjApIIO79_2i01Pdir6KOvMa3u41AEhwjzBIkwZ3D70IDXpkVQlHuBUPGaXgtHPVu5vYZArvUeC32FgG6wf_BDLsNImSRNZu3hvbiJNHEMKVLq038unQXuUUydpZwrcww45n89XMoIqnvzuVYCfHCKCQ_VwrQqAO1LJwctHtNZPQ8ule9WrBcNaWJnVDjXQn7dUQCIfF_HdzJLnOVSNSbU5MQUA-G41136lGHep5ab_NIymrk9VJkdSr7dZXBVa37DSVHwWb3q5l8cdiU-IrxPlCmqjA1Krv4armibetqL21yd-1_XBHEUau506EwTIwOjJPpCH3dAHCZa3cz_HF5upHf5dBGJcDRulGRsEXcNr74ZJMrgALGJtphRKgp3r6JoosFkkHuP5Rvcw-jwuVsqu-R87VJWPCpVkuqsHaM9GeA1k1ggQeraF9vBKdNE2XJxw-ELr1o-Jdxk5PuviqVtG97zqc_GMovd6cqb-oie8PjyZa13BSH3aps-ibNvy8ZcSSjCULCeBhyARKiDWHufOYHZDbdXfNrLldxEQustPpj0RiB7uUmd3k4ZRPc-keUNkGAln1OFgMlUZm2joOlKAp033ZWctoukM-b5BVWWDJd-VkjJ-OcfBDLFfj1alii_v0_cd0uQJBmvfQ=w651-h867-no