Sign in to follow this  
shellback91

Ham Radio

I am considering getting a license and in turn a Ham radio of course. :D Any recommendations on courses/training to take? I am looking at the technician license, any things I need to focus on or watch out out for?

I took the on-line practice tests. You can take them over and over and they are free. I also bought a ham radio test book with questions and tests in the back. Looking back, I wouldn't have bought the book. (I did read it.) It's not that hard a test and it is multiple choice. I took the online tests and the ones in the book until I was averaging 95% then took the real test. Easy Peasy.

One example from a quick google search: https://hamexam.org/

I used Ham Test Online: https://www.hamradiolicenseexam.com/

I liked it because each chapter was fast and easy, followed by practice tests. If I was struggling with a particular question, then that question came up more frequently until I continually answered it correctly. They give a $$ back guarantee; if you don't pass, you get your money back!!

Thanks for the feedback. I found a few on Google but asked here to see if anyone had good luck with any particular place over another. Then I can compare that to what I found and proceed. I did find Ham Test Online too, out of all the ones I found that was the one I was leaning towards. :D

i tried to take 2 different free courses here in the valley but got bored after a couple classes and never finished either time! online tests/reviews definitely worked better for me.

unfortunately much of the test isn't super applicable to real world beginner use-cases, so it doesn't matter if you just memorize the answers and don't really learn it... you'll figure things out once you start talking on one in real life. go ahead and buy a cheap Baofeng no even to start listening in.

I also used the one Diane linked above... and some other free online ones just to mix up the questions a bit.

Well I passed my test earlier this week and bought a Baofeng BF-F8HP and programming cable. I have programmed it using Chirp with a bunch of repeaters just to listen in. Not much action yet. Now I have some more questions... ARGH :(

1. Does anyone use them for anything other than Jeep'ng on a regular basis? If so are there any recommended repeaters?

2. Any best practices you have found? (How loud to speak into it, How close to hold it to your face etc..)

3. I am using Chirp, anything special I need to program when adding in an ORP channel for runs other than the frequency?

Well I passed my test earlier this week and bought a Baofeng BF-F8HP and programming cable. I have programmed it using Chirp with a bunch of repeaters just to listen in. Not much action yet. Now I have some more questions... ARGH :(

1. Does anyone use them for anything other than Jeep'ng on a regular basis? If so are there any recommended repeaters?

2. Any best practices you have found? (How loud to speak into it, How close to hold it to your face etc..)

3. I am using Chirp, anything special I need to program when adding in an ORP channel for runs other than the frequency?

nice - congrats!

1. check out 4x4ham.com - not much activity on their site, but i think they still have a weekly radio net. there's a popular set of linked repeaters here (Metrolink) that includes the popular Shaw Butte and Mt. Ord stations, there's also the useful Rimlink.

2. hold the mic a few inches away... but a lot of us, myself included, tend to hold it too close and so someone once told me to "talk across the mic" instead of directly into it, i.e. you can hold it close but at 90* to your face.

3. Offroad Passport typically uses 146.46 simplex, so there's nothing special there - i.e. everyone is on the same frequency just talking direct radio to radio, no special tones, etc. we use this because it's easy to remember and works out in band plan of several of the southwestern states.

nice - congrats!

1. check out 4x4ham.com - not much activity on their site, but i think they still have a weekly radio net. there's a popular set of linked repeaters here (Metrolink) that includes the popular Shaw Butte and Mt. Ord stations, there's also the useful Rimlink.

2. hold the mic a few inches away... but a lot of us, myself included, tend to hold it too close and so someone once told me to "talk across the mic" instead of directly into it, i.e. you can hold it close but at 90* to your face.

3. Offroad Passport typically uses 146.46 simplex, so there's nothing special there - i.e. everyone is on the same frequency just talking direct radio to radio, no special tones, etc. we use this because it's easy to remember and works out in band plan of several of the southwestern states.

Thanks! That information is helpful. I am researching the internet and putting what I find into a pile and sorting it out. I always like to get additional input/info from people who have been there and done that so to speak. Thanks again.