Ghostrider

Installing HAM antenna on a JL

I spent a couple of days trying to figure out a way to run my HAM system in the JL. Most of the exterior is either aluminum or magnesium. So...after digging and digging all over the Internet, I think I may have a way to make it work. It’s not proven yet, and I’m not sure how far it will get out there, but I’m hoping it will at least work well enough to communicate with a close group.

I’m using a Chinese made VHF/UHF stubby antenna mounted to an Nagoya NMO mount, attached to a Rhino JL, rear light bracket. The Rhino light brackets fasten behind the hinges, using the hinge screws. The Nagoya mount is adjustable to avoid low tree branches and garage doors. A rain cap is included if you want to remove the stubby antenna.

The cable enters the rear of the top through a small, sealed hole, goes behind the Velcro-affixed covering and exits at the location where you would disconnect the water line and electrical plug for the wiper arm, when you plan on removing the top. At that point, a double female connector is used to connect to the cable running forward to the handheld transceiver.

15E6E9AC-C45E-47C7-9CC4-49B777023556.jpeg

BF04DC70-7722-49EC-B02B-39016126BF18.jpeg

0EDEE589-7E13-43B6-97A6-693B9FD4813E.jpeg

1CDB2D51-D7BF-47CC-AAF5-413505AA9998.jpeg

Edited by Ghostrider
Eliminate unwanted description and adding more info
  • Like 1