dzJeepChic

9/14/19 Abandoned Railroad Tunnel Hike Sign up & discussion

During the the annual event formerly known as the Cinders, we're tentatively leading a hike Saturday morning, if there is any interest.  Please let us know if you want to go by posting to this thread. 

We'll drive to the trail head about 12 miles from camp. The hike is .75 miles in / .75 miles out. From the parking lot, hike downhill for half mile to railroad tunnel trail, then hike .25 miles up very steep hill to tunnel. Return the same way; down very steep slope to main trail, then uphill .5 miles. This is a short, very strenuous hike. 

DSCN2815.JPG

diane in the tunnel.jpg

History:  In the early 1880s, the Arizona Mineral Belt Railroad made plans to cash in on the need for transportation of ore from Globe to the Atlantic and Pacific Railroad in Flagstaff. The scheme called for a tunnel to be excavated through the Mogollon Rim. The plan was discarded after they twice ran short of funds. Now all that can be seen of the tunnel is a hole in the rock. 

Important Trail Information:
Difficulty: Most Difficult
Length, one-way: .25 mi

General Description: Lots of history - Native American and US Army skirmishes and an attempted railroad tunnel.

Post to this thread to sign up.

Meet up:  Leave camp at 9:30 AM Saturday 

Trail Leader:

Number 7

Attending:

MzPriss

johnpa

Chersdad

Redrock Tonihawk

lofreqjeff & Katie

DSCN2813.JPG

Edited by dzJeepChic

Oh!  Count me in for this!

• Like 1

Not going to do it this time, but it is a cool hike and tunnel and I recommend it!  

smiles, ladybug

I was interested but have to be in Flagstaff by the afternoon for a wedding. What time were you going to go. I also need to figure out travel time from the campsite to Flagstaff.

Not up for this.  Have fun!

Johnpa is in

Cher's Dad (David) is in too.....but apparently he doesn't visit the forum enough.....but I swear he said he's in!  🙂

• Haha 2

I did see the hike, would like to. Gonna bring the dog so have to make sure we aren’t going to be anyone’s way with her. 

• Like 1

Katie and I want to do this! I’ve told her about this since we first met - hopefully there is enough interest 

• Like 1