theksmith

Reward Mine near Independence, CA

010_jeep_wrangler_reward_mine.jpg?qualit

I ran across a good article on the Reward Mine and surrounding points of interest. The mine is known for the fact that you can actually drive into it for about half a mile. It is in the middle of nowhere - but I'd love to make this a stop on some other trip eventually.

Drivingline.com article: JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH AT REWARD MINE

More photos, videos and GPS info for the Reward Mine is available on the Trails Offroad site.

That's in Inyo County near Death Valley; we've driven through there on the way to the Rubicon. I've always wanted to stop and check it out. There are lots of old mines in the area, and I read an article recently about the ghost town of Cerro Gordo was purchased by an individual who wants to restore it.  And if we go we might as well stop off at the Trona Pinnacles on the way.

The tunnel you take into the mountain is at ground level, with a turnaround at the end. There are something like 7 levels in that mountain, of which you cannot drive. However, I heard there were ladders at some locations and shoots between levels. A friend of mine was in there a year ago and said there’s an awful lot of graphitti. Just hope no one is coming the opposite way. It’s a long way to back out.

The whole area around there is fun.  Spent a lot of time exploring that area with my dad when I was a kid.  I am thinking of trying to put together a group trip to that area in 2020 or 2021

• Like 1