theksmith

don't buy plywood from Home Depot or Lowe's

when it comes to DIY drawers or other storage in your rig, here's another tip from a beginner woodworker... don't buy finish-grade plywood from Home Depot or Lowe's! it's just not on par with what you can get from a dedicated woodworking or lumber supply store, and the price difference is negligible.

i bought a 60" x 60" sheet of 1/2" Baltic Birch for about $35 from Woodworker's Source here in Phoenix and the quality difference between it and the best stuff i could find at the home improvement stores is dramatic. even the hardwood versions at Lowe's and Home Depot have less plys, are thinner, more warped, and full of voids.

i always hated working with plywood before, but didn't realize that was because i was buying crap material!

here's a very typical fresh cut edge on the "real" half-inch Baltic Birch i bought:

uRa-BSRcudJvSFNBPVkWTrMJcRhu_utIjKV732nJ

i also have to give props to the staff at the Woodworker's Source near I-17 & Bell - everyone was helpful and super friendly. quite the opposite of Rockler (the only woodworking store i had ever visited previously).

Edited by theksmith
  • Like 3

I almost mentioned using Woodworkers Source  in your post about pocket screws.

Glad you found them.  Class outfit.

• Like 2

I had no idea the difference. Thanks for sharing!

It does help to have quality plywood. I tried to make my daughter a Lectern using Home Depot plywood, unfortunately, the veneer is micro thin and chips/spits easily.   I don't have any other choice of wood in the area. I've been to woodworkers supply. Good place.