theksmith

JK Unlimited Rear Drawer, Fridge Slide & Sleep Platform Version 2.0

fridge slide done!

HrFptDney4VqlGjGEhLVnOJFqqBXywT9d3xm9auo

i used a couple sections of 1-1/2" x 1/8" thick angle aluminum and more 1/2" plywood to create the tray.

the right slide bolts to the drawer case, and the left slide attaches to a 2" x 1/8" thick piece of angle aluminum (which then bolts down to the base).

VMzCY5HjvMLpgRrXM_ZJ4QItAmAAcsj-8F7RzND8

the slides attach to the aluminum with a copious number of rivet nuts thanks to the Tacklife Rivet Nut tool i bought a while back. IMO, rivnuts just make things easier to assemble than having to use a bunch of actual nuts and washers.

lwaWZ7p1ShT15_8oC9tKhqlGvQ__M4tGbxn5PvZn

that middle section of plywood was left out for weight savings. 2 short vertical sections of plywood are there for strength near where the fridge will eventually tie down to 4 footman loops.

a ton of pocket hole screws were used again to tie the wood pieces together. then i countersunk flat-head screws into bottom of the aluminum rails to hold them to the wood. 

Fy7zqwfnq8imy4g4XshgsSiayidf_uLdUO6by0af

the little section of tray at the end is for an old laptop bag that holds most of my recovery gear.

-PtkW-wbITTp3oHYNrqmv3ATC1qgb8iL5b29QRLx

i've kept the bag there for a long time as it's the perfect pyramid shape for that space and i can easily get to it by flipping down the back seat. having it on the slide just gives me another way to access it.

2SVhrPRsfk2mT9Mp4skVwjQQR4KlprXSBrPzPjfG

• Like 3

Looking good!  

You have become a pocket hole screw master!

• Haha 1

never done this before, let's see how it goes!

iIbgsZMAVVGA9QBvtu8Kbe6Dg-bS0mrXBUu7PvV5

OHMz1kdjl51lUc6UOOGZ3sSkl-Hx9FyD3tW1diTb

• Like 1

Interested in how that Raptor Liner adheres to the wood/primer you laid down. Looking great!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 4x4tographer said:

Interested in how that Raptor Liner adheres to the wood/primer you laid down. Looking great!

hopefully it makes a durable final surface. i'd read somewhere that you aren't supposed to use the Raptor liner directly on bare metal or wood. Killz primer can be top coated with oil-based, latex, or pretty much any other sort of paint you can think of so i think it will be ok for the Raptor.

hopeful fingers crossed GIF by The Paley Center for Media

• Haha 1

well the 2 Liter kit of Raptor Liner i got didn't got as far as i had thought ! i only got a little over half done, so i ordered a couple more bottles.

i was able to coat 1 side and the edges of everything plus the second sides on a couple boards.

KFKOoV5G2Yr5FsJREJc666r_FJ8yEI9ycIuOGqGc

i'm pretty happy with how it came out, especially considering i only bought the $17 standard spray gun.

i cranked the pressure up to 70 PSI, which is a little higher than recommended - but i'd read it would give a finer texture and it did. you can't go too high or it blows out so much material so fast that you lose the texture again.

apparently you can get an even finer grain if you spring for the $75 adjustable gun, or mix with reducer and use an HVLP gun.

-tvRX8fJDF8Za86PtWs1NyvLZLpQ_nsGj4jNJeNt

at the 70PSI, i ended up needing to hold it a good 12+ inches from the surface and move pretty fast to keep it from getting "muddy". i still ended up with that smooth look in some corners where i overlapped too many times:

WXubwt8lATVL7w60YBbxTqlFsQi0XSxtVbneL37c

i used 3M 18mm automotive refinish masking tape over any screw heads that need to come back out still. 

each piece of tape was removed with a pick tool about 30 minutes after spraying. this whole strip will be covered with a piano hinge:

WZwOdHrPy0poPWJNYclx5AADaMHm4PG7-ZXIr6pm

yesterday i also spray painted several areas black where i needed to tape over a screw head but was worried that the uncoated edge might not be fully covered up by a hinge or whatnot.

BDQfd2m4Wlf_8ZUS5_oas3bp1Fbu-cmcZ1CCdZCb

here's one more photo showing the overall texture and sheen.

wvUJ_SJIN5mf1C1fDXsmm8gdmTaxgvRfov3yKK1V

now i'm super anxious as i've got this nearly ready-to-assemble project but the rest of the Raptor Liner isn't going to be here till Thursday!

bored kid GIF

• Like 4

Wow!  That turned out nice.

You did a great job spraying that, especially with the “cheap” gun.

In my experience, you were smart to use the masking tape you listed.  The home center tape doesn’t seem to be as good as it used to.  I recently had to go with the 3m green auto painting tape for a project where the plywood edge needed to be a different color than the face.  I just couldn’t get a clean line, even with Frog Tape. 

Thanks, as always, for the included links.

Edited by jgaz
  • Thanks 1

WOW Kris...  Looks GREAT ! ! ! !

GREAT use of the former laptop case also... ;)

Edited by ob1jeeper
  • Thanks 1

95% done!

i just ordered the second pair of drawer slides for the fridge tray. i had been waiting till now just to spread the cost of the project out a bit, but they are exactly like the ones i used for the drawer and should bolt in quickly once they arrive.

AJDdCJFPSBCVaDQaG0eJTBh1Z7TR03aE8gXpuzXw

due to a little oversight, i still need to Raptor line one side of both sleep platform supports. i ordered one of their aerosol cans to wrap that up. i'll be interested to see how the texture compares to all the other stuff i sprayed with the gun.

QDXfvwWkl7OBaobn9mkn7-Pq24Nf9oIBcOr7su_-

these little UFO looking discs at the front and rear are for use with the L-track tie-down anchors that i already had.

7ShETzx0rR8ge9CIiXHQmPOlZHhjpN9M5R794QLg

you can also see in the above photo that i used some nylon hole plugs from Ace Hardware to fill those installation access holes Jim had asked about. i gave them a coat of Raptor liner too so they would match better. 🤪

ibeJfCsclRMS1llXGk1syjtf2eZranA-82DaDV-5

i think the drawer part came out really nice. i went back and trimmed the case to fix that 1/16" of variance i mentioned before since it was really bothering me!

ciadCtblpup5A8Am4oV0e2nxLgO1h877v1yVPTD1

i used tab-style aluminum cabinet pulls on the bottom of the drawer for a spot to squeeze the slide releases against and also grab while pulling the drawer out. i used this same setup on the fridge tray too.

since i didn't leave a ton of gap around the drawer, i routed shallow notches in the bottom of the face board so the pulls would sit flush - little touches!

7bDSGbnVfVeb6rBLlfyLRGzsUx1IPi0uE1wC24_w

i sprayed the final coat Wednesday and the Raptor liner is still curing so i probably shouldn't have put it in the Jeep yet - it smells awful! looks like i'll be leaving it with the windows down and not driving it for a couple more days!

jvkcjMCjuUovpD-MRyeBy5XW5yB6qUI3unPJ7Pu_

i'm excited to get everything wrapped up once the second set of slides comes in and then i'll probably make a little video to show it all off!

Edited by theksmith