theksmith

JK Unlimited Rear Drawer, Fridge Slide & Sleep Platform Version 2.0

That's pretty damn slick looking!  You should start a company to build & sell these

• Like 1

the Raptor 2K Aerosol produced very similar results to what i already had. the left was done with the gun and compressor, the right with the aerosol can:

CCYRJvjsBKweC_zz5EygWiwMjfAywOr2LZzX-FwT

it's hard to tell from the photo, but the aerosol one is just a little smoother.

the aerosol is the real deal Raptor liner - you press down on a button at the bottom of the can to start the 2-parts mixing and then have the same 60 minutes of work time as you do after mixing a traditional bottle of it. there's nothing else to buy and nothing to clean up when done! 

the can says to hold it 24" to 36" inches from the surface, and they aren't kidding. i'd recommend you start at the 3 feet mark and use a fast sweep.

the downside is the coverage/cost. that $25 spray can is estimated to cover 14 square feet, but in reality you're lucky to get 5 out of it. still, it's a pretty neat product if you wanted to coat a Jeep grille or other very small project with a durable textured finish.

• Like 1

On 10/18/2019 at 7:40 AM, AZRNintheJeep242 said:

That's pretty damn slick looking!  You should start a company to build & sell these

before this project i thought the prices charged by Goose Gear for full rear storage setups and even ARB for their drawers was insane, but now i really appreciate how much time and effort goes into making your own and see that the costs are totally justified for anyone that doesn't have the space/tools or desire to DIY.

• Love 1

10 minutes ago, theksmith said:

before this project i thought the prices charged by Goose Gear for full rear storage setups and even ARB for their drawers was insane, but now i really appreciate how much time and effort goes into making your own and see that the costs are totally justified for anyone that doesn't have the space/tools or desire to DIY.

Yeah...I just scored a deal on a new ARB slide that fits my fridge. Waiting for it to get here. May eventually go the Goose Gear route. Will see how I like the setup first.

second set of slides came in so i guess we can call this little project "done" unless something needs to be adjusted or re-designed! ;)

dOf38Gu1uLvNRIC55f-dhxgDDi1ufuCK4gJf3zm9

first full day off-road trip to test it on will be this Sunday's Prescott Overland Loop, so hopefully nothing rattles, rub, or otherwise fails.

2-vyG6xAGjXdw3ix78SpSVUekgOkiYzwb-4RouU-

these cam buckle straps hold the fridge down to the footman loops i added to the slide. i'm not 100% sure that just 2 straps will keeps it totally still - i did crank them down like mad though!

Z28TqOXOCQZDEXDkbC1URJFR0gKWRkxUC1w5K2C0

the handle of my recovery gear bag is bungeed to the rear handle of the fridge to try and keep it in place when the slide is out.

wT9-cItrrEuzl0qv_ogkEC6NMCT_4mMirI7ylOQi

i felt like the releases on the Ryadon 3600 slides were a little scratchy so i lubed every part of the latching mechanisms with just a tiny bit of white lithium grease and not only did that make them smooth as butttah, but the slides will now "slam latch" - sweet!

-z8Cy2eWd9kWyujQM0q7HD03gJpJPV3emo0lIVJk

so WTF goes in that giant drawer? well...

i used a combination of bags and cases i already had plus a few new ones to organize the drawer. FYI, Goodwill is a great place to find all manner of bags in various sizes and shapes.

these 4 soft cubes meant for cables are new items for me. they fit the space perfectly, seemed reasonably sturdy, and were a good deal at $10/each.

Ks_5wGvli_4WRUdq3B-xtv-5lCKKFHntz_y05Nh_

the black cube has seldom-used or specialty tools.

QE43wbduelE0pXULb61ljHCzo4Ex5GTaCmTZXA14

the grey one holds my jump starter, a multi-meter, and an OBD2 bluetooth dongle.

On0vTmKj8Rw7HUAu2w57lnLrodnTvN3g78HgK1nn

everything from random screws/bolts/clips/fuses to duct-tape, JB-weld and bailing wire are in the 2 blue ones. items are further grouped inside there using zippered pencil cases i already had from Walmart and clear plastic/mesh baggies.

c6ogOlXw6gX_efPWToLoOY3vLoZi-rmEBrJkRAcb

small hand tools are in a canvas tote i think came from Harbor Freight. it sits under the red wrench roll. the smallest tools are inside another size of those plastic/mesh zippered bags.

V0k6jd6Ll3igpv1a2BSGNU0dp1-T8Mbkg1HOQPS7

the loose hammer/pry-bar combo is a Stanley demolition tool (that claw works great for pulling tent stakes!). the other big silver bar is something new i'm testing out, a Mueller-Kueps wrench extender - basically a fancy cheater pipe.

there's an old toiletries bag holding all my sockets, allen wrenches, and related drivers/extensions/etc.

the Ernst Socket Boss rails are quite good at keeping sockets locked on. also, the flex-head extendable 1/2 ratchet you can see in there has been an excellent compact alternative to a breaker bar.

sfYrSwWeYoPOjJHu2htE3qVKG5mb1tROf_yM_vHI

the red thing in the back corner is a folded up leather welding helmet. i have several types of electrode plus jumper cables, etc. for stick welding with 2 vehicle batteries tucked under the back couple of soft cubes. a mini grease gun sits under the blue cubes in a large ziplock bag.

and finally, the little grey mesh sack at the front left corner holds a few bungees and Gear Ties.

we'll see how this layout works. if nothing else, it should be much faster to get to nearly any tool than when i had to un-strap and pull out those two SeaHorse cases that held all this junk before!

LVcBPnusCWeVrgPlQ-rwQ3jvIYHxJGT9jyHdRc78

Edited by theksmith
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

6 minutes ago, theksmith said:

second set of slides came in so i guess we can call this little project "done" unless something needs to be adjusted or re-designed! ;)

dOf38Gu1uLvNRIC55f-dhxgDDi1ufuCK4gJf3zm9

first full day off-road trip to test it on will be this Sunday's Prescott Overland Loop, so hopefully nothing rattles, rub, or otherwise fails.

2-vyG6xAGjXdw3ix78SpSVUekgOkiYzwb-4RouU-

these cam buckle straps hold the fridge down to the footman loops i added to the slide. i'm not 100% sure that just 2 straps will keeps it totally still - i did crank them down like mad though!

Z28TqOXOCQZDEXDkbC1URJFR0gKWRkxUC1w5K2C0

the handle of my recovery gear bag is bungeed to the rear handle of the fridge to try and keep it in place when the slide is out.

wT9-cItrrEuzl0qv_ogkEC6NMCT_4mMirI7ylOQi

i felt like the releases on the Ryadon 3600 slides were a little scratchy so i lubed every part of the latching mechanisms with just a tiny bit of white lithium grease and not only did that make them smooth as butttah, but the slides will now "slam latch" - sweet!

-z8Cy2eWd9kWyujQM0q7HD03gJpJPV3emo0lIVJk

so WTF goes in that giant drawer? well...

i used a combination of bags and cases i already had plus a few new ones to organize the drawer. FYI, Goodwill is a great place to find all manner of bags in various sizes and shapes.

these 4 soft cubes meant for cables are new items for me. they fit the space perfectly, seemed reasonably sturdy, and were a good deal at ~$10/each.

Ks_5wGvli_4WRUdq3B-xtv-5lCKKFHntz_y05Nh_

the black one has seldom-used or specialty tools.

QE43wbduelE0pXULb61ljHCzo4Ex5GTaCmTZXA14

grey holds my jump starter, a multi-meter, and an OBD2 bluetooth dongle.

0jqCIH7tNwGiIvPCjdhyngBiLRWdtc1TUCagfj5S

everything from random screws/bolts/clips/fuses to duct-tape, JB-weld and bailing wire are in the 2 blue ones. items are further grouped inside there using zippered pencil cases i already had from Walmart and clear plastic/mesh baggies.

RzSHYmwHRM-OPavfIOd4ImtX3uOtsWKZ3l--85M2

small hand tools are in a canvas tool bag i think came from Harbor Freight. it sits under the red wrench roll. the smallest tools are inside another size of those plastic/mesh zippered bags.

-zabxwNL6qHSUymRmQ04zlWAZJh3qI0K1Cr068r0

the loose hammer/pry-bar combo is a Stanley demolition tool (that claw works great for pulling tent stakes!). the other big silver bar is something new i'm testing out, a Mueller-Kueps wrench extender - basically a fancy cheater bar.

there's an old toiletries bag holding all my sockets, allen wrenches, and related drivers/extensions/etc.

the Ernst Socket Boss rails are quite good at keeping sockets locked on. also, the flex-head extendable 1/2 ratchet you can see in there has been an excellent compact alternative to a breaker bar.

UezTgLYSKyOrKqbK8ww_71bbL6Qs1r-vAcXpas2x

the red thing in the back corner is a folded up leather welding helmet. i have several types of electrode plus jumper cables, etc. for stick welding with 2 vehicle batteries tucked under the back couple of soft cubes. a mini grease gun sits under the blue cubes in a large ziplock bag.

and finally, the little grey mesh sack at the front left corner holds a few bungees and Gear Ties.

we'll see how this layout works. if nothing else, it should be much faster to get to nearly any tool than when i had to un-strap and pull out those two SeaHorse cases that held all this junk before!

VoB6XIWE4mrIDZqqfRrzgeNKNhNq7fd9_X632af9

That's amazing looking!!

• Thanks 1

Well Done Kris... ;)

• Like 1

Very nice Kris

• Thanks 1

Kris,

i cant see the third and second to last pics.

is it me or the link?

Edited by jgaz

9 minutes ago, jgaz said:

Kris,

i cant see the third and second to last pics.

is it me or the link?

i think there was a problem with a couple of them - look ok now though?