theksmith

Do you put your tools away at the end of the day?

Garage OCD  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Do you put your tools away at the end of every day?

• Yes!
    • Only if I'm finished with the project I was working on
    • No way, my tools always roam free!

enEVlHBMTkaApVQxIVNS3ASMx9m11X-VBs7F_0Em

i'm not sure if it was an entire childhood of hearing "put your toys away if you're done playing for now" or just a bit of OCD, but i always put all my tools back in their proper place when i'm done for the day - even if a project is still in progress...

so which of you is a clean freak in the garage/shop and who all thinks this is just craziness?

• Like 2

Like to think my garage is clean compared to most but when working on projects I leave tools where they're within an arms reach, especially if the project involves me being under my Jeep.

590720202.jpg

• Like 3

Yes, they are wiped down and put away almost without fail.

I  like to believe this became a habit because of 40+ years working in a shop.  Especially places that ran three shifts.

That’s what I’m going with.....nope, not because I’m OCD.  Not me!

My wife might disagree but we won’t ask her😉

This drawer looked like this every night before I went home

28FDF5BC-2DFE-4767-AE7E-9A358B589595.thumb.jpeg.8c694ef9d253e9c27a15db76dca23abf.jpeg

• Like 3

A little organize when it comes with my garage so I would make an effort to put back where I borrowed a tool after even when I am so tired. 

On 9/27/2019 at 3:39 PM, jgaz said:

Yes, they are wiped down and put away almost without fail.

I  like to believe this became a habit because of 40+ years working in a shop.  Especially places that ran three shifts.

That’s what I’m going with.....nope, not because I’m OCD.  Not me!

My wife might disagree but we won’t ask her😉

This drawer looked like this every night before I went home

28FDF5BC-2DFE-4767-AE7E-9A358B589595.thumb.jpeg.8c694ef9d253e9c27a15db76dca23abf.jpeg

I would LOVE to be able to say that my toolbox's look like Jim's pic above, when it comes to my tools...   But the truth is, I cannot honestly say that I am even remotely close to matching the neatness, shown in the photos of those who have responded thus far.  

That said, while my  tool boxes and work areas, will likely never reach these admirable levels of organization and neatness, it is a rarity, that I cannot go to any of my tool boxes, open the correct drawer, and not find the tool that I expect to be there. ;)

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ob1jeeper said:

I would LOVE to be able to say that my toolbox's look like Jim's pic above, when it comes to my tools...   But the truth is, I cannot honestly say that I am even remotely close to matching the neatness, shown in the photos of those who have responded thus far.  

That said, while my  tool boxes and work areas, will likely never reach these admirable levels of organization and neatness, it is a rarity, that I cannot go to any of my tool boxes, open the correct drawer, and not find the tool that I expect to be there. ;)

My habits  I think came about more from HAVING to put them away while working in a common shop.  The organization has been a help over the years to see when something was missing.   It might be too late to retrieve later if it goes out the door in a customers car.

Steve, You have a system that’s works for you.  The variety, quantity, and quality of work you accomplish proves that it’s the right system for you.

Edited by jgaz
  • Like 1

What is this put them away? I always end up buying new tools for every project.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, jgaz said:

My habits  I think came about more from HAVING to put them away while working in a common shop.  The organization has been a help over the years to see when something was missing.   It might be too late to retrieve later if it goes out the door in a customers car.

Steve, You have a system that’s works for you.  The variety, quantity, and quality of work you accomplish proves that it’s the right system for you.

Appreciate your generous comments Jim...    AND... Understand and agree whole heartedly about working in a common, or customer oriented shop...   Did much the same with my tools, for the short time I was in that environment while working & going to school.   Simply put...   I could not afford to have them go out the door, or otherwise lose/displace what tools I could afford to own... ;)   Having not been in that environment for close to 50 years with my own tools, I've become significantly more relaxed.

You rank among the top handfull of crafstmen with whom I've worked over the years, who are this organized, AND talented in producing topnotch finished products. ;)

• Love 1

Oh no!

Am I coming over to the “dark side”??! 🙀

I  took this picture this morning after a long session last evening  with my router table.

ADFEC498-58AD-4D13-8E4C-677B528DA736.thumb.jpeg.1fb6d887e9d03357d23d45fddfbdccee.jpeg

Kris, Do I have to change my vote?

😉

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, jgaz said:

Oh no!

Am I coming over to the “dark side”??! 🙀

I  took this picture this morning after a long session last evening  with my router table.

ADFEC498-58AD-4D13-8E4C-677B528DA736.thumb.jpeg.1fb6d887e9d03357d23d45fddfbdccee.jpeg

Kris, Do I have to change my vote?

😉

Thank you Jesus...   NOW, I finally feel exonerated...   LOL.... ;)

• Haha 1