GRUNT

Is the ARMY getting a new Jeep?!

I have seen all kinds of articles, today, regarding a concept vehicle developed by AM General and the ARMY. This will be the first time in decades that the military will have a true Jeep again. I believe the CJ-5 was the last Jeep used, and that Jeep ended production in the early 70's. 

Is this the new ARMY Jeep?

• Like 1

interesting!

is the J8 not used by our own military?

The last model of “jeep” used by the U.S. military was the Vietnam-era M151A2 MUTT Ford M151 MUTT (Military Utility Tactical Truck). It was used until the 1990’s.

The CJ (Civilian Jeep) was devised from the military M38A1. The CJ was built until the mid ‘80’s, when the first Wrangler, the YJ, came out.

Edited by Ghostrider
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, theksmith said:

interesting!

is the J8 not used by our own military?

To the best of my knowledge the J8 was an overseas only vehicle. 

We did engineering work on them but the ones I worked on wouldn’t pass US emissions standards, among other things.

Perhaps Steve, @ob1jeeper can add more info.

Edited by jgaz
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, jgaz said:

To the best of my knowledge the J8 was an overseas only vehicle. 

We did engineering work on them but the ones I worked on wouldn’t pass US emissions standards, among other things.

Perhaps Steve, @ob1jeeper can add more info.

Jim is correct, at least until around 2008-9 (ish), around the time-frame I became no longer involved with any further consulting activity's with AMG.   I'm not aware of anything other than mild interest by TACOM (Tank Automotive Comand, who is the main arm of the military, for setting/evaluation vehicle mission goals) in the then current J-8 offerings that were being purchased by non-US countries for use as light tactical military vehicles.

FWIW:, At the time frame I had any useful knowledge, the J-8 was essentially a "converted" JKU, utilizing the VM 2.8L diesel, some frame strength upgrades , and rear suspension altered to "HD" leaf springs, using a semi-floating Model 60 Dana rear axle, for the additional load carrying capacity required by the foreign miitary uses.

The new Gladiator versions discussed initially in this thread, appear to most likely be concepts, that are being floated to TACOM, who it would appear have begun inquiring about the potential for less costly alternatives to the HMVEE models currently spec'd. and in use by the US military branches.    That said, I've been away from this so long, that what I've said above is nothing more than guesses as to what it may be about. ;)

Edited by ob1jeeper
  • Like 1

The J8 had a seriously heavy duty swing gate.   IIRC, it had an exterior exoskeleton that I’m sure was waaay stronger than the current JK gate.  

i always wanted to see if it could be a bolt on exchange for a stock JK gate.  Sadly, I never got a chance to prove out my theory.

I have also seen a number of concept vehicles for the military based on the Chevy ZR2 also.

On 10/15/2019 at 3:51 PM, Ghostrider said:

The last model of “jeep” used by the U.S. military was the Vietnam-era M151A2 MUTT Ford M151 MUTT (Military Utility Tactical Truck). It was used until the 1990’s.

The CJ (Civilian Jeep) was devised from the military M38A1. The CJ was built until the mid ‘80’s, when the first Wrangler, the YJ, came out.

Yes. Thank you. When referring to the CJ as the Jeep the military used, using incorrect nomenclature, I should have clarified and not reference the civilian version. The M151 is not a "Jeep" and why I did not refer to it as such.