This lucky dog survived his ordeal, and should serve as a reminder to all of us to use caution while exploring the desert. Open mine shafts  are all over the place out here in Arizona, and have even been known to swallow a Jeep! Always stay aware of your surroundings.

This story if from Mohave County Sheriff's Search and Rescue Unit (shared from facebook):

Late Tuesday (11/5) morning, the Mohave County Sheriff's Office received a call from a geologist working in a remote area north of Lake Havasu City. He indicated he came across a dog that had fallen into a mine shaft, but he could not get to it. It was alive, but not moving. Search and Rescue and Animal Control Officers responded to the mine shaft. Our technical rope rescue team entered the shaft and was able to rescue the dog. Animal Control Officers did an initial assessment of the dog. He is an intact male, shepherd-mix, with dark brown and tan coloring and about 7 years old. He was scanned for a micro chip, but one could not be located. He has been admitted to Low Cost Spay and Neuter under the name of "Fred" for further care and is expected to make a full recovery at this time. Great job by everyone involved!!

Image may contain: sky, plant, tree, outdoor and nature

Image may contain: one or more people, mountain, sky, tree, grass, outdoor and nature

Image may contain: outdoor and nature

Image may contain: one or more people, outdoor and nature

Image may contain: one or more people, dog, shoes and outdoor

Image may contain: one or more people and people sitting

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

i hope Fred comes out 100% ok!

• Like 2

Poor Fred.  Look at those ribs!

Thankfully they got to him in time

Would be a horrific way to die...   Glad he was found in time... ;)

Unfortunately, Fred didn't make it.

• Sad 2

Poor Fred. Tim's right, here's an update from Fox News.

*** UPDATE ON FRED from Low Cost Spay and Neuter **** - It is with a heavy heart that we announce that Fred passed away this morning around 4am. His starvation was so severe, his kidneys were not responding to treatment and he was unable to produce any urine. ASPCA starvation guidelines were followed, but his case was extremely severe with a low chance of survival. Based on his X-rays and boney remodeling of his hips joints, he was in his senior years.
We were happy he was able to spend his last night in a warm place with loving arms. We have received enough donations throughout the night to cover his medical costs so thank you to all that donated. Thank you to all the rescuers for your hard work and dedication. ***

Link to article:  https://www.fox10phoenix.com/news/dog-dies-after-being-rescued-from-arizona-mine-shaft

RIP Fred. :(

• Sad 1

Oh so sad.  And remember, those edges around those mine shafts can be loose...I always keep our Conan on his leash and far from these shafts.  

sadly, ladybug

• Like 1