shellback91

Small Evap Leak Code

I keep getting the "Small Leak" engine code on my JK. It pops up every 1 1/2 to 2 weeks. I have replaced the gas cap with no change.  I used to remove and replace gas cap then clear code and go about my day. Lately I just clear the code and move on. I am not a big wrencher so I am looking for a shop recommendation. I have a feeling taking it to the dealership may cost too much and be a run around but I could be wrong.

Edited by shellback91

1 hour ago, theksmith said:

Give Joe a call at On Point Performance & Offroad - he's not too far from you: https://goo.gl/maps/SCYAZiEmbFfhe4Cx6

Thank you, I will give him a call.

1 hour ago, theksmith said:

I had the same problem when I had my JK. I started with a new gas cap, then tightened everything I could find from the rear of the gas cap, all the way back to the gasoline tank. It turned out to be a plastic “snap-together” factory fitting. It was not securely fastened together. Why it didn’t throw a code much sooner, baffles me but, after making sure everything was tightened/fastened, I no longer had any more codes come up. Everything I checked was accessible by lying on a creeper and sliding underneath.

• Like 1

Same problem (code) on my JKU. Evap system leak. Also did the gas cap thing, inspection eliminated any loose connections. Have appointment with Joe @ OnPoint for the 14th. Will follow up with his diagnosis.  Al

@Ghostrider- Thanks for the tip. I crawled under there earlier today and everything from the gas cap back is snug. I only saw one factory plastic "snap-together" fitting and that was secure too. I read some where to check the lines that run next to the battery for holes/wear and tear or loose connections, those look good to me too. I did recently replace my battery and thought something may have come loose during the swap. The code came up before then so probably not related anyways.

@mynr1 I may be making an appointment too pretty soon. Looking forward to hearing the diagnosis you get.  I am wondering if its the evap canister or something related to that.

"small" evap leaks are typically difficult to find without a smoke machine. i haven't had any emissions issues on my JK yet, but with past rigs if the gas cap didn't fix it then it has always been a dry-rotted hose or rubber connector - i've never actually experience the pump, sensor, or canister go bad.

2 hours ago, theksmith said:

"small" evap leaks are typically difficult to find without a smoke machine. i haven't had any emissions issues on my JK yet, but with past rigs if the gas cap didn't fix it then it has always been a dry-rotted hose or rubber connector - i've never actually experience the pump, sensor, or canister go bad.

Good point and thanks! I'm going to give Joe a call this week.  This issue is making me bonkers!! 😃

My evap leak...Joe (On Point) hooked up smoke machine & we found the culprit!! It was part of the fitting  to the gas  tank. Bad news, if piece on tank is broke you will have to replace your tank $$$$$ because that piece is part of the tank. Good news, fitting (not on tank) broke while being taken apart but enough was left for Joe to do his thing.  Drilling, bushing, glue & we had a new part!!! Re-smoked & no leaks. Just have to go thu the drive cycle now. Joe came up with this fix & I am his 3rd repair for this & so grateful.  Dealership would have replaced the tank, about $800. Part of contributing factor was my lift, installer "should" have made a longer (tie wrap) holder for harness to the tank, which on full articulation was really stretching harness to it's limits. That to was also addressed. Have described this procedure in layman's terms, but believe me this is a permanent fix & again, thanks Joe.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, mynr1 said:

My evap leak...Joe (On Point) hooked up smoke machine & we found the culprit!! It was part of the fitting  to the gas  tank. Bad news, if piece on tank is broke you will have to replace your tank $$$$$ because that piece is part of the tank. Good news, fitting (not on tank) broke while being taken apart but enough was left for Joe to do his thing.  Drilling, bushing, glue & we had a new part!!! Re-smoked & no leaks. Just have to go thu the drive cycle now. Joe came up with this fix & I am his 3rd repair for this & so grateful.  Dealership would have replaced the tank, about $800. Part of contributing factor was my lift, installer "should" have made a longer (tie wrap) holder for harness to the tank, which on full articulation was really stretching harness to it's limits. That to was also addressed. Have described this procedure in layman's terms, but believe me this is a permanent fix & again, thanks Joe.

Thanks for the update on this. I have been too busy to call Joe but I will get to it once work calms down in the next little while. This definitely makes me feel better and I am hoping my issue is the same as yours was.(Or something similar/easy) Thanks again Al!

Edited by shellback91