theksmith

photographing things in orbit

this article on Popular Mechanics outlines the basics for capturing orbiting craft, such as the the International Space Station.

don't get too excited, this is the sort of image they're after (from spaceweathergaller.com)

Ralf-Vandebergh-OTV-5_20190702_setP_1562

i'm wondering if @4x4tographer or any other members here have managed to snag a photo of the ISS?

No pics of it, but it passed over us in the Kofas a few years back. Mark and Jake Engdahl were trying to talk to it on Ham. It was pretty obvious if you were looking for it.  It went by really quick!

No pics either but it went over us one time when we were out on the El Camino del Diablo. We had some guys from the 4x4Ham with us and they were trying to contact it via HAM, but I can't quite remember whether they did or not. Tim's right; it went by really fast!

8 hours ago, theksmith said:

this article on Popular Mechanics outlines the basics for capturing orbiting craft, such as the the International Space Station.

don't get too excited, this is the sort of image they're after (from spaceweathergaller.com)

Ralf-Vandebergh-OTV-5_20190702_setP_1562

i'm wondering if @4x4tographer or any other members here have managed to snag a photo of the ISS?

Nope, haven’t tried yet. It’s SUPER difficult. A lot of people calculate out when it’ll transit the sun or moon and try to grab it then for easier aiming. I’ve seen some insane photos of it from some of the Astro forums I follow. 

#goals

goals wow GIF by Best Friends Animal Society

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Cool thread on the trials and tribulations of trying to snag a lucky shot!

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/538755-whats-your-setup-to-capture-good-pictures-of-the-iss/?p=7246094

Edited by 4x4tographer

NASA's good at it; here's a shot of Mercury passing between Earth and the Sun yesterday:

fulldisccompTransit2019.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 1