4x4tographer

Hard mounted HAM Radios?

I to am radio ignorant and in need of advice.

Decided on a Yaesu FTM-400XDR but have no idea on what antenna (height is not a issue) to go with to maximize the capability of the radio. Any real world jeep relevant info would be appreciated

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Stacey and Scott said:

I to am radio ignorant and in need of advice.

Decided on a Yaesu FTM-400XDR but have no idea on what antenna (height is not a issue) to go with to maximize the capability of the radio. Any real world jeep relevant info would be appreciated

i like a UHF (PL-259) style mount because you can often use a regular CB antenna bracket and just drill the hole a little larger. the Diamond Antenna C213 is both a cable and UHF antenna mount - you'd just need a bracket.

i've used the 38" Diamond NR770HB antenna on multiple rigs and it performs great, it's dual-band so would work well with your radio.

lately, when i remember to put the antenna on ;), i've been running a Comet SS-680SB since it's only 27" and fits in my garage. it's also dual-band and works well, but the Diamond definitely picks up from longer distances.

Edited by theksmith
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, theksmith said:

i like a UHF (PL-259) style mount because you can often use a regular CB antenna bracket and just drill the hole a little larger. the Diamond Antenna C213 is both a cable and UHF antenna mount - you'd just need a bracket.

i've used the 38" Diamond NR770HB antenna on multiple rigs and it performs great, it's dual-band so would work well with your radio.

lately, when i remember to put the antenna on ;), i've been running a Comet SS-680SB since it's only 27" and fits in my garage. it's also dual-band and works well, but the Diamond definitely picks up from longer distances.

Thanks for taking the time to fill my brain, sounds like the 38" diamond is the ticket

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 2/19/2020 at 5:46 PM, SonoranWanderer said:

IMG_3673.thumb.jpg.96faa7e0b79a6bfd04815284f7d1830d.jpg

Hey SonoranWanderer, Sorry for the necrothread but are those ram mounting plates just mounted to the plastic, or do the screws go through into the metal at all?

Nevermind, I looked them up and it looks like it's probably just mounted to the plastic. I see that they have one for the JL/JT that looks like it has a steel mounting plate backer that also bolts into the frame somewhere, but the others just look like they are exactly what you see in the picture you have without a backing plate. 

Edited by mesach
Actually did some research into what I was asking.

42 minutes ago, mesach said:

Hey SonoranWanderer, Sorry for the necrothread but are those ram mounting plates just mounted to the plastic, or do the screws go through into the metal at all?

Nevermind, I looked them up and it looks like it's probably just mounted to the plastic. I see that they have one for the JL/JT that looks like it has a steel mounting plate backer that also bolts into the frame somewhere, but the others just look like they are exactly what you see in the picture you have without a backing plate. 

The RAM plate is plastic and it is bolted to the overhead plastic. The weight support for the overhead plastic beam of a JK is limited. It holds that radio head (FTM 400) great without deformation or deflection, but not so much for my old Garmin Monterra GPS, which is a brick. It would probably support a phone, but not much else.

• Like 1