shellback91

Four Peaks-Apache Trail

I am going to run the Four Peaks trail next Sunday most likely. I should have my air down gear by then, if not I am going anyway. 😀  I am not even sure if I need it for that trail honestly. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I do not think the weather will be an issue, that's my hope anyways. I am thinking about running 143 straight to Highway 188 then down to Apache Trail to head back to Apache Junction. That will depend on the time it takes to run across. I am not sure if I want to run up and back down 422 from 143 then out to 188 instead.

I have never run either so If anyone is interested in joining me let me know and we can discuss details. Any suggestions are also welcome. 

You don't 'need' to air-down for these trails, but it would be a much smoother ride if you do. There's lots of washboard all the way along, and enough substantial ruts to warrant it, IMHO.

I believe that the Apache Trail, between Hwy 188 & Apache Junction is closed due to a washout. You should check with Tonto to be sure. If you don't go that way, you can take 188 to Hwy 87 and back down through Fountain Hills (LONG WAY).

Weather can play a factor if it's been raining a lot. Be careful not to slide off the road up there!

• Like 1

@dzJeepChic Thanks for the info! I checked the weather, rain Wednesday & maybe Thursday so I think so I should be okay by Sunday. I looked on the national forest website but I did not see anything about the washout. How do you get that information, call? I have looked around the interwebs but came up empty, maybe I missed something. 😟

I will try not slide off the road, up there. I will be extra focused since I am nervous about it now!!  🤣

@shellback91 I can't find anything about the Apache Trail closure now, so hopefully I'm wrong. I'd give them a call if I were you just to be double sure.

Still shows closed if I am reading this right

https://az511.com/#route

Closure Closure

SR-88 Northbound
Highway closed on SR-88 Northbound near Tortilla Loop FS Rd (214) 9/25/2019 6:51 PM 
Comment
Highway closed due to storm damage, Tortilla Flats is accessible. Highway closed indefinitely. 
Start Time Sep 25 2019, 6:51 PM
Recurrence Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri, Sat, Sun:
Active all day
Last Updated Oct 2 2019, 1:48 PM
Edited by CAVU2
  • Like 2

Thanks guys, I appreciate it.  I may run in if the road is decent and come back out the same way.

Edited by shellback91