4x4tographer

Steering Clunk at 25,000miles

Any of you guys run into a steering clunk before? Had Michelle crank the wheel back and forth. The clunk occurs upon the return to right from a left.

I checked all the lower components and couldn’t find anything wrong (not that I’m the most mechanically inclined). The problem feels like it’s coming from the engine bay, maybe the steering box.

Edited by 4x4tographer

Hard to tell, the video is too short.  Sounds like a tie rod end popping.  My suggestion is to put your hand on the outer tie rods, one at a time and feel for the clunk while someone turns the steering.

• Like 2

like Curly said, touch each piece while she rocks the wheel back and forth slowly, including the track-bar.

• Like 1

Thanks @Curly and @theksmith.

I think I have it narrowed down to the track bar bushing at the axel assembly. There is a definitive popping and some good visual movement (though I don’t know how normal that is).

Looks like some warranty work is on the horizon.

Edited by 4x4tographer

I'm having trouble viewing the video, I see one movement and then and the picture freezes.  I hear the audio just fine.  I do think that is excessive movement for that link.  Bushing is probably gone since I didn't see the bolt move.

i could see the video ok, and yup that looks like the bushing is jacked up!

Well, think it’s resolved for now. Jacked up and re-torqued the track bar bolts to spec and the “popping” is gone! At least for now.

Thanks guys for your advice!

Welp, clunk is back. Re-torquing was a temporary fix. It’s gotta be the bushing! 😐

Guess we’re scheduling some warranty work after all!

• Like 1