GRUNT

I got a radio for Xmas!

The highlight of my day was spending time with family, but the second best thing was a gift from my wife and kids. They got me a mobile HAM radio for my Jeep. It is a FT-2980R from Yaesu. I am very excited to put it in this week. I need to figure out where I am going to locate it and running the wiring for the unit and the antenna. I am thinking I should run it to the auxiliary fuse box. I definitely need to brush up on how to HAM again. I will need to make a run over to the HAM Radio Outlet to get the antenna.  @theksmith posted once about the cliff notes books for specific radios. Going to check to see if they have one for mine.

1. Where did you locate your radio?
  2. Did you wire it to something under the dash or to a fuse box?
  3. Where did you place your antenna?
  4. Will my beloved Packers keep making ugly wins all the way to the Superbowl?

FT-2980R_thumb.jpg

Edited by GRUNT
Learned to use hyperlinks.
  • Like 1

Sweet! Are you going to run Ham only? I have a hand-held ham, but G installed our CB in the TJ how he used to have it in Number 7; he fabbed up a bracket from the windshield to the center roll-bar.

20191124_150000.jpg

My Yaesu has a removable faceplate, so I put the radio body under the drivers seat, Faceplate above the sunvisor. Ran the wires up the A pillar and hid them under the trim.  Wired to the battery direct, w/fuse.  Antenna mounted on the tire carrier.

• Like 2

nice radio Grunt!

13 hours ago, GRUNT said:

@theksmith posted once about the cliff notes books for specific radios. Going to check to see if they have one for mine.

yes they do, here it is...

Edited by theksmith
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, dzJeepChic said:

Sweet! Are you going to run Ham only? I have a hand-held ham, but G installed our CB in the TJ how he used to have it in Number 7; he fabbed up a bracket from the windshield to the center roll-bar.

20191124_150000.jpg

@dzJeepChic right now I plan to. I need to figure out where to locate everything, ensuring it has a logical place. I had a G bracket but due to my center bar on roll cage the CB was off set instead of centered. That made the high position problematic for tall people. I then need to figure out how to wire it all up. The last thing is how to mount both antennas. I have a tire carrier and plan on locating them the as @Curly described. I imagine I may need some sort of bracket on opposite sides of the carrier so the antennas have some separation.

Thanks @theksmith!

Edited by GRUNT
  • Like 1

Not sure why you would need antenna separation. You will only be transmitting on one at at a time (I ASSume).  The antennas receive the signal passively, so being close to each other shouldn't matter.  To be clear, I am NOT an expert or even close to one on this topic.  I do remember from my CB radio days of the late 70's, that dual antenna's needed some room between them, but that was when they were transmitting from the same radio.

Nice Radio addition Allen...   ;)

Here's how we mounted the two radios in Karen's TJL...

Edited by ob1jeeper
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, ob1jeeper said:

Nice Radio addition Allen...   ;)

Here's how we mounted the two radios in Karen's TJL...

Thanks for the suggestion, @ob1jeeper! I will need to take some measurements to see if I can fit them there. Due to my height, my head sits up between the sport bars/roll cage. I can barely see out the front windshield without slouching and as such, that may position the radio in my face. I will definitely take a look in the morning.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, GRUNT said:

Due to my height, my head sits up between the sport bars/roll cage.

guy driving GIF

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, GRUNT said:

Thanks for the suggestion, @ob1jeeper! I will need to take some measurements to see if I can fit them there. Due to my height, my head sits up between the sport bars/roll cage. I can barely see out the front windshield without slouching and as such, that may position the radio in my face. I will definitely take a look in the morning.

Have you given any thoughts to lowering the seat a little?   Give me a shout when you get the chance.   May have some ideas for you to try... ;)

• Like 1