johnpa

Convert your maglite to LED

I took my old reliable maglite to the mines and the light just wasn't bright enough. I bought the Cree led conversion bulb for my three battery maglite from Amazon and it works. I now have a heavy duty 3 d cell maglite in LED.

• Like 3

Do you have a link to the conversion bulb you used?

I put this led conversion bulb in a 2 cell Maglite about 4 months ago.

280 Lumen Firefly 3-6 Cell LED Upgrade for Maglite Flashlight https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VRFY2PT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_sRMjEb34CDGQZ

Big improvement over the stock bulb.  However, I paid about $14 for my bulb.  They are up to almost $20 now.

• Like 2

i used to have a 4D MagLite that i put a TerraLux LED conversion in. i don't doubt their claim of 1,000 Lumen, but it's $70 (mine was an older 600 Lumen version). 

q6t2W99ki0HgxWj_F88gHt20QpDJ9fgL4neNucm7

4dnPjIiNEg7iUzRdubd3K8ZKygsq9ai4Q20Bgp_8

however, these days you can get that sort of brightness from a nice rechargeable light for well under $50.

@gearhead gave me this Anker Bolder rechargeable which is an awesome general purpose flashlight with adjustable focus and a claimed 900 Lumen output. there's also another version now with double the run-time that's still extremely affordable.

my EagleTac G25C2 MKII that i got back in 2014 has been my go-to light for exploring mines and around camp . i have a full review of it here...

no doubt those D-cell MagLites still make good weapons though! ;)

Ludopam mag led on Amazon. 13 bucks. Alot cheaper than buying new considering I already had the maglite.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, johnpa said:

Ludopam mag led on Amazon. 13 bucks. Alot cheaper than buying new considering I already had the maglite.

Thanks, I ordered one today.
I’m upgrading the Maglites that don’t see a lot of use and switching to the “new fangled” lights for lights that I use more often.

@theksmith Since your in the Ryobi 18v camp you might appreciate this:

JOMITOP 18v 19.2v 6v 9v 12v 24v Volt Led Flashlight Bulb Led Upgrade Bulb for Ryobi Milwaukee Craftsman 6-24 Voltage Lamp Maglite Flashlight DC Replacement Bulbs Led Conversion Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BP5MT2X/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_7g7jEbACVMF15

I installed one of these in my Ryobi flashlight.  It made a large improvement.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/21/2020 at 7:26 PM, jgaz said:

@theksmith Since your in the Ryobi 18v camp you might appreciate this:

JOMITOP 18v 19.2v 6v 9v 12v 24v Volt Led Flashlight Bulb Led Upgrade Bulb for Ryobi Milwaukee Craftsman 6-24 Voltage Lamp Maglite Flashlight DC Replacement Bulbs Led Conversion Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BP5MT2X/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_7g7jEbACVMF15

I installed one of these in my Ryobi flashlight.  It made a large improvement.

Jim,

I found similar LED bulbs on Amazon with a"JESLED" name brand @ $12 for two bulbs, so I converted both of my 18V Ryobi lamps...  Am liking the results... ;)

Edited by ob1jeeper

21 hours ago, ob1jeeper said:

Jim,

I found similar LED bulbs on Amazon with a"JESLED" name brand @ $12 for two bulbs, so I converted both of my 18V Ryobi lamps...  Am liking the results... ;)

Good find Steve!  Much better price than I found.

I bought the bulb I did based on the recommendation of someone that had good success with the one he bought.

• Like 1