theksmith

On-Board Fresh Water & Hot Shower (in a Jeep Wrangler JK Unlimited)

On 2/4/2020 at 7:12 PM, jgaz said:

I love the use of the fuel door to cover the water fill cap. Genius!

No worry about resale.  Most will think it has duel tanks!🤣

I didn’t realize the brushless Ryobi Drill had a threaded insert to accept a side handle.  My old non brushless drill doesn’t have the ability to use a handle.  

if you’re ever in need of  a hole saw for one time use, and don’t want to buy it, hit me up if the needed size is below about 3 1/2”?  
I have a large assortment of various sizes that I’ll loan you.

Agreed Jim...  Nicely done ;)

PS:  Kris,  I also have a decent assortment of hole saws...  Just in case the mood strikes again... ;)

PS, PS   Welds don't need to look professionally done if they do thier intended task of holding stuff together... ;)

Edited by ob1jeeper
  • Thanks 1

this weekend's rock crawl was brutal to my undercarriage...

BMIw5M-0CYrOkplum1VO30xrovYmE6ARLqxHlzX9

the good news is my water tank bracket/skid seemed to have survived the beating with nothing but a few paint scratches (unlike my DS boot)!

UrWWbPLki6cLbOgXS3US3g7WpQNAL-ERMgHEZLKP

i'm nearly done adding the heat exchanger and related stuff, more on that (plus a couple minor tweaks) coming soon!

_MXilhaaJw91NqcPL0izhzGPNHz6yW-k7BCCc5NY

• Like 1

i swapped out the Amarine-Made 12v pump for a Seaflo 21 Series with adjustable cut-off pressure (model SFDP1-012-035-2, specs here...)

the Amarine-Made had a fixed 35PSI cut-off which caused a brief but powerful surge of water when you first pressed the sprayer trigger. the Seaflo's cut-off is adjustable down to 17PSI, which made a noticeable reduction in that initial surge. the Amarine-Made was also annoyingly loud. the Seaflo is quieter and comparable in sound to the much more expensive Shurflo i used in my previous vehicle.

for only $10 more, i definitely recommend the Seaflo.

GUljDaw7RAiUqE6u6QIfBhZUgjOmOBGnwUusgokk

Edited by theksmith

Posted (edited)

hot water!

i sketched out a plumbing diagram for the whole system (just the fill-hose and breather line aren't shown):

3WT1watewVPXx5z5WiYX6kW7hVpLsBYEu-23QP_j

an under-hood photo showing the heat exchanger which is spliced into the heater core return line.

LJKTpLiyQmcdj9G1CT1lA_XroNkODRONziUZ4Mrb

i might should have gone with a 20 plate exchanger. the 10 plate isn't efficient enough to heat up the water to an acceptable shower temp *until* the engine gets to around 180*. the only problem with that is the JK's 3.6L takes a good 15 minutes to get that warm from a cold start if it's just sitting still idling.

the heat exchanger is just zip tied on, but that seems to be holding it in place just fine.

pfC225CMQF-hPwDx9pUU7XjDLOBCOOy5VrWFR589

for reference, the bottom (passenger side) aluminum line in this "before" photo is the heater core return. i disconnected the rubber hose coming to it near the firewall to splice in the heat exchanger.

d6q599tz7iUMzI7HlrJebxPFPXRW5tw9YiOYLUCQ

one item not shown in the diagram above is the coolant bleed/fill valve that i added. since all of this new stuff is higher than the radiator fill, air bubbles would be trapped in the lines without some way to bleed from the highest point.

rpYseMdmawv5wcvCZorsuc4QNOhSnQ88ieJxVQSQ

the thermostatic mixing valve was placed under the front wiper cowl next to the pump.

cVunndtT1cdNeiaq0vpkkgGtFhwJSxmkcQuxO_O2

X_xCtcQudU_5v6Xj0P3gm-wxlbz-a3CmLiXjj2Vd

it's not something that would need to be adjusted often, but i can access it with the hood open if necessary.

I_p8VhhY7FWLhiCGGoXRjdsOXOEpDpCgVWZXlKS-

when water sits in the heat exchanger for a while, it can reach the full engine operating temp (over 200*). so the thermostatic mixing valve is needed to provide a consistent "warm" output, regardless of how hot the engine is or how fast/slow the water moves through the exchanger. it does this by dynamically blending the cool tank water with the hot water from the exchanger.

another issue i encountered: because the "cool" line coming from the tank runs above the engine/trans/t-case, the water inside it was heating up to the point that that the mixing valve couldn't do its job and i was getting a brief initial pulse of scalding water from the sprayer. the solution was to insulate the cool line where it ran through the tunnel. i used common foam pipe insulation tubing and then wrapped that with aluminum duct tape.

6UFO5rs2osVOR026E48GrH15b2s-58kWfMUD7ptm

one final thing to note is that i have some "straight" and some tapered/conical thread fittings. these shouldn't normally be mixed, but can be made to work just fine in this low-pressure application... for any joint, if the female side is a straight thread ("pipe"/IPS/G/BSP/"shower") then use a rubber washer and if the female side is tapered (NPT), use teflon tape.

jMpttlFIdQxfqOjodVG-TM6RN1SkhdrbR1V-a_h8

shopping list for this part of the project:

Edited by theksmith
  • Like 2

Female side.. I like it

discussing weird science GIF

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

finishing touch:

WWdwRo6fO7gAgu0VHMrYkeaTc1buUcDgBmYkXzia

Edited by theksmith
  • Like 2