Jump to content
theksmith

On-Board Fresh Water & Hot Shower (in a Jeep Wrangler JK Unlimited)

Recommended Posts

i made the mistake of using a random chinese brand of faucet supply lines for the hoses that connect my heat exchanger into the system, and they started leaking recently so i replaced them with new hoses from Lowe's.

 

the chinese ones had natural colored seals inside which seem to have melted away. i'll have to see how the black rubber in the new ones holds up to the heat. if these deteriorate too, then i'll just switch to barbed adapters and hose clamps.

 

here's an end that was connected to the heat exchanger, the seal is completely gone:

 

ACtC-3eEIjpzlpSSx-0ZSTBeHbkdIqruQku8_n2N

 

the seal in the other end was starting to come apart as well:

 

ACtC-3fvzHmu5oWMiayzk0CMSp-3bda1gNKna69f

 

Edited by theksmith
  • Wow 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/5/2020 at 8:51 AM, theksmith said:

a couple minor tweaks...

 

 

leaky flush tee

 

the Dorman flush tee i had installed as a fill/bleed port at the new high-point in the system was leaking a tad. i didn't like that plastic thing when i got it and had already purchased a metal replacement from For Seasons but just not gotten around to installing it.

 

leaky part:

 

ACtC-3fNywVKIT0xjmGdCfqPlNIwOQM00Juus77X

 

replacement:

 

ACtC-3d_pEkzpQlcu0qH3L4JxXwatmHjdfpMuBsr

 

 

 

too hot!

 

after idling for a long time or doing a slow 4-low rock crawl type trail and then using the water, i was still getting an initial surge of scalding water. i talked about trying to insulate the supply line to prevent this before:

 

 

that attempted solution was obviously not working out, so my new idea was to re-run the supply line from the tank out along the edge of the Jeep, away from the hot "tunnel" area.

 

 

 

then route it up inside the passenger fender as far away from the engine as i could realistically get it.

 

 

 

i'm not sure if this is the final fix for the too-hot water - i still need to test it on a hot day after a long slow crawl.

 

other than those 2 minor things, the water system has been working great so far.

 

In regards to the scalding hot water, try using a mixer valve from the plumbing department similar to what they use in restroom faucets, it takes the hot line from the heat exchanger and a cold line from the pump outlet (cold) and you can adjust the outlet temp to the hose end. 

 

like this LINK

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, wj4play said:

 

In regards to the scalding hot water, try using a mixer valve from the plumbing department similar to what they use in restroom faucets, it takes the hot line from the heat exchanger and a cold line from the pump outlet (cold) and you can adjust the outlet temp to the hose end. 

 

like this LINK

 

 

 

thanks, see earlier in the thread - already have one. the problem i was having was that the "cold" feed line to it was supplying such warm water that it couldn't effectively mix the scalding water down to a low enough temp.

Edited by theksmith
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/1/2021 at 7:50 PM, theksmith said:

 

thanks, see earlier in the thread - already have one. the problem i was having was that the "cold" feed line to it was supplying such warm water that it couldn't effectively mix the scalding water down to a low enough temp.

Ah, my apologies I missed that. love the build 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

i had mentioned before about the Jeep needing to get up to full operating temperature before the fresh water would get hot enough for a shower, which is very slow to happen if just sitting at idle (i.e. a morning shower after the Jeep's cooled down overnight)...

 

Joe at On Point Performance let me know that coolant isn't even really flowing much through the heater core until the thermostat opens up fully. he suggested i move the heat exchanger from being in-line with the heater core to in-line with the oil cooler, which does flow coolant even before the thermostat opens. it's the hard line that T's back into the heater core return line here in the middle:

 

AM-JKLVAuCxDc6O5uQpNw2d69h7Dpabrzk8GzHVX

 

for some reason Jeep decided that the soft line attached to that one should be 3/4" instead of 5/8" like the rest of them, so this turned into a minor project. but after a trip to Autozone and O'Reillys, the change is done! i still need to test it after the Jeep sits all night and is completely "cold" to see if it really starts to heat the fresh water before the rig gets up to full temp.

 

Edited by theksmith
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, theksmith said:

i had mentioned before about the Jeep needing to get up to full operating temperature before the fresh water would get hot enough for a shower, which is very slow to happen if just sitting at idle (i.e. a morning shower after the Jeep's cooled down overnight)...

 

Joe at On Point Performance let me know that coolant isn't even really flowing much through the heater core until the thermostat opens up fully. he suggested i move the heat exchanger from being in-line with the heater core to in-line with the oil cooler, which does flow coolant even before the thermostat opens. it's the hard line that T's back into the heater core return line here in the middle:

 

AM-JKLVAuCxDc6O5uQpNw2d69h7Dpabrzk8GzHVX

 

for some reason Jeep decided that the soft line attached to that one should be 3/4" instead of 5/8" like the rest of them, so this turned into a minor project. but after a trip to Autozone and O'Reillys, the change is done! i still need to test it after the Jeep sits all night and is completely "cold" to see if it really starts to heat the fresh water before the rig gets up to full temp.

 

 

well this change did seem to get the water warming up faster on a cold start.

 

this morning the ambient temp was about 75* and the Jeep said coolant temp was 87* on startup. i filled the fresh water tank with filtered hose water (which was slightly cooler than ambient). the Jeep itself warmed up to 160* in about 5 minutes and at that point it would heat the fresh water to a tolerable lukewarm feel. 

 

before this plumbing change, the fresh water would not really heat up much at all until the Jeep hit around 190* or more  - and it usually requires driving around a little to get it up to that temp.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/11/2022 at 7:44 PM, theksmith said:

to in-line with the oil cooler, which does flow coolant even before the thermostat opens. it's the hard line that T's back into the heater core return line here in the middle:

I have never worked with tubing like that (I'm not sure which line it is in the picture). Do you need to use cutting and flaring tools?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, curt-t said:

I have never worked with tubing like that (I'm not sure which line it is in the picture). Do you need to use cutting and flaring tools?

 

all of those aluminum hard lines turn back into rubber hoses near the back of the engine, and they just have typical constant-tension hose clamps holding those on. there is a slight pucker/barb at the end of each hard line. i just unhooked the existing rubber hose and then re-joined to it with a double barbed connector.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...