Very nice looking Truss. Is that a D35?

Very nice looking Truss. Is that a D35?

Yes, I just keep making it stronger. George:cool::eek:

Number 7 do'n it's thing.

IMG_1678.jpg

Number & do'n it's thing.

IMG_1678.jpg

Sweet pic Maddog! George:cool::D

Number 7 got a new gas tank to accommodate a future wheelbase stretch and Klune-V Underdrive installation. There are several tanks with skid plates available for this project: the Pure Jeep, for around $700 + Shipping and the Gen Right, for around $900 + Shipping. I thought I got a good deal; I paid $600 and locally picked up a 19 gal. Nth Degree aluminum gas tank and skid that will allow for 5" of stretch.

I took the old tank out and started to install the new one. That is when the nightmare began - it didn't fit. The guy I bought it from said it came out of his '03 Rubicon, but when I tried to push it up into my 2000 SE, the corners hit the cross member where the upper shock mounts are located. I didn't want to start cutting into my frame cross member, so I had to modify the tank.

I cut out the corners where they hit and made some pieces of aluminum shaped to weld back in:

DSCN8841.JPG

Here is is all done.
Desert Dog Offroad here in Fountain Hills did the welding for $80:

DSCN8849.JPG

The front tabs on the gas tank skid were designed to mount to the upper shock mounts (I totally didn't realize that when I bought it, I thought it was a direct install!), so I had to redesign the mounting system. Sorry for the bad picture:

DSCN8851.JPG

I also cut the rear mounting tab and lowered it 1" for extra tummy-tuck:

DSCN8854.JPG

I made up some front tabs and welded them on:

Then I welded up a mounting tab on the cross member:

DSCN8857.JPG

This is the new tank attached to the skid with all the hoses, fuel pump & sending unit attached:

DSCN8861.JPG

After installing the gas tank, the Jeep wouldn't run. It kept popping the 20 AMP fuse for the fuel pump. GRR! :eek:

Stay tuned.

George :cool:

DSCN8855.JPG

Check for a short to ground.

That's exactly right, Mike. I had to pull the tank back out, and as I was pulling the fuel pump sending unit, I noticed the + wire was touching the aluminum neck of the gas tank, grounding out. The aluminum neck is funnel shaped inside, so I had to grind down a section of it and flushed the tank out again. What a PITA!

Got everything reinstalled, and then my exhaust hit the gas tank! So I reconfigured the exhaust to clear the new tank, but when I drove around it would still rattle against the skid. Over the next 4 weeks I was able to keep working on it until I got the exhaust pipe in there just right so it doesn't rub or rattle. You should see this thing, it's like a franken-exhaust, every square inch has a weld on it.

But it's all good now. I've got the Jeep back on the road and everything works. George :cool:

I found this OLD [kinda crappy] video of Number 7 going UP the staircase on Broken Arrow in Sedona. At the end when he finally gets some traction I actually fell down, that's why it gets all jumbled, and why the guy talking says "Whoa!" to George. I knew if he had to stop because of me he'd be pissed, so I jumped up really fast and I say "I'm fine!"

Here's Number 7 posting on Coronado Island at the beach:

attachment.php?attachmentid=1769&stc=1&d=1376406942

He ran a little hot on the hills on the way over here so you might be seeing a new radiator install here and possibly a new exhaust as well... :rolleyes:

0812131315a.jpg

How come nothing is ever as easy as it should be? Nice build thread, just read the whole thing. Always wondered about the bow in the rear springs, any troubles after moving the mounts?