GRUNT

Old gas & older gas cans

I have two gas cans, the green ones we all ordered over 12 years ago, that have been sitting out in the shed. I thought I drained them prior to my Jeep being sidelined a decade ago. Alas, I did not. One still has a few gallons of gas. 

Does anybody have constructive ideas on how to dispose of the fuel? Is there a need and a way to wash them out?

Thanks for any input you can lend.

The city where I live, Peoria, has a hazardous waste disposal program two or three times a year.

Once you’re signed up, you’ll receive an email each time that will let you schedule a pick up time for almost any automotive fluids (among other things).
You then place the accepted material outside your garage or carport and they will pick it up, usually quite early.  
You will lose the jugs that contain the waste,  but for me that’s a small inconvience.

The program works so well that I don’t even attempt to dispose of my waste oil at an auto parts store anymore.

• Like 1

@jgaz thanks, Jim!

tank gas GIF

• Haha 3

I'd simply wait until I had a fuel tank near empty, dump it into the vehicle with the empty tank, then top it off with fresh fuel.   Unless it has been exposed to moisture, I CANNOT have gone so bad that it would be harmful or unuseable if diluted as above, with fresh fuel. ;)

• Like 1