dzJeepChic

Speedy Sleeves - How do they work? How to install?

@GRUNT and I were talking about leaky axle seals the other day, and he mentioned that Steve @ob1jeeper had fixed his once and for all by using Speedy Sleeves. Creampuff has been going through axle seals, so I came home and started googling Speedy Sleeves, but I can't find anything specific about how they work or how to install them on a Dana 44 rear axle. Everything I have seen references using them when your components are old, and maybe corroded or pitted, but the axle shafts on our Jeep are brand new, so I don't know if Speedy Sleeves are applicable to our situation.

We wonder if Speedy Sleeves would help make axle seals last longer? Can anybody explain, or find explanations/videos on how to install Speedy Sleeves on a Dana 44? (I love saying Speedy Sleeves!)

1 hour ago, dzJeepChic said:

@GRUNT and I were talking about leaky axle seals the other day, and he mentioned that Steve @ob1jeeper had fixed his once and for all by using Speedy Sleeves. Creampuff has been going through axle seals, so I came home and started googling Speedy Sleeves, but I can't find anything specific about how they work or how to install them on a Dana 44 rear axle. Everything I have seen references using them when your components are old, and maybe corroded or pitted, but the axle shafts on our Jeep are brand new, so I don't know if Speedy Sleeves are applicable to our situation.

We wonder if Speedy Sleeves would help make axle seals last longer? Can anybody explain, or find explanations/videos on how to install Speedy Sleeves on a Dana 44? (I love saying Speedy Sleeves!)

Quick google search pointed me to their unique spelling and this how to video.. I hope this helps:

Speedi Sleeve

TY @scottL. They also talk about worn shafts, so again, I wonder why this is happening with brand new shafts, and will the speedi sleeves help?

could your housing or tube be bent?

Edited by theksmith

35 minutes ago, theksmith said:

could you housing or tube be bent?

People have told me to go get bent, but not sure about my housing and tubes. 😂😂

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, dzJeepChic said:

TY @scottL. They also talk about worn shafts, so again, I wonder why this is happening with brand new shafts, and will the speedi sleeves help?

Thank you for clarifying.

Did G check the axle vent tube for any blockage? https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/dana-44-axle-seal-leaking-622501/#post11680780 

& this guy used RTV around the mating surface of his axle seal then jacked up his vehicle overnight so the diff Ohhl wouldn't come into contact with the sealant until after it dried https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/dana-44-axle-seal-leaking-622501/index2.html#post11682353

• Haha 1

To answer your original question:

I believe the answer is no.. speedi sleeves will not help George since (from my perspective) their intension is to fill a void left from axle shaft wear and tear

Tearing Nancy Pelosi GIF by GIPHY News

• Haha 1

I'll have to do so more digging, to find the PN's of the parts I used on Grunt's axle, and the specs of the seal surface size, but the axle shafts on his D-44 had ZERO wear damage, appeared to be new aftermarket "Alloy" shafts, which were slightly undersized at the seal surface by a few thousandths, and the aftermarket (non OEM Dana) seals we were finding @ NAPA, O'Reilly's, etc. happen to be slightly oversized, or at least larger than the OEM Dana-Spicer seals by a few thousandths.    The combination of those two things were causing the wheel end leaks Grunt's D-44 axle was experiencing.

I was able to correct the leaks by ordering a set of OEM Dana/Spicer seals, and installing Speedi Sleeves.   I ordered both from Denny's Driveshafts...  ;   https://www.dennysdriveshaft.com/c129_parts.html

Hope this helps... ;)

Edited by ob1jeeper
  • Like 2
  • Love 1