4x4tographer

March 14, 2020 / Wickenburg Mountains Triple Threat! / Moderate 4x4

March 14, 2020 / Wickenburg Mountains Triple Threat! / Moderate 4x4

How about a triple-threat of trails for a day of wheeling? Actually, we’ll be on 5 “trails”, using 2 of them as access roads to the day’s triple threat through the Wickenburg Mountains.

What is this magical triple threat, you may ask? 

1. Corner Spring Trail
  2. Roberts Camp
  3. Buckhorn Springs

We’ll access this network of trails by way of Constellation Road near Wickenburg and then leverage Castle Hot Springs Road to part ways and head back to the Lake Pleasant/Peoria area or into Morristown/Wickenburg, depending on where you live.

Short Hike: A major point of interest along this trail are the Buckhorn Springs along a short hike. The natural spring flows through a narrow rocky canyon where a couple of crystal clear water holes can be found. 

Meeting Time & Location:

7:30am @ Constellation Road Trailhead

Coords: 33.98748, -112.69342

Map: https://goo.gl/maps/JKwGhKsobqKcMwXW6

Near the intersection of Constellation Road and Smoke View Ranch Road

Trail Details:

This run is 44 miles from the Constellation Trail Head to the end of Castle Hot Springs Road near Lake Pleasant.

In terms of timing, I’m treating this as an all-day affair. I have not personally run this system of trails.

For detailed information and videos from all of these trails, please see below:

GPX file attached

Triple_Threat_Corner_Spring-Roberts_Camp-Buckhorn_Spring.gpx

This trail criss-crosses from Federal to State Trust land and through private property.

STATE TRUST PERMIT REQUIRED: https://asld.secure.force.com/recreationalpermit/

Difficulty: Moderate (per available trail information)

• Constellation Road, Buckhorn Springs, and Castle Hot Springs are considered the easiest parts of the run. These trails constitute the vast majority of our trail distance and should be doable in 2 wheel drive with high clearance.
  • The moderate portion of our day will be on Corner Spring Trail (rocky wash areas) and Roberts Camp Trail (narrow shelf roads, steep climbs, rutted trail, loose rock, mild-off camber).

***WEATHER UPDATE 3/12***

So I'm keeping an eye on the weather for this Saturday. Looking like we'll have a nice day with some hopefully dramatic clouds for beautiful scenery.

u2i8JVp.png

CURRENTLY I'm still planning to move forward with this run - subject to change with weather.

That said, we'll be dealing with obviously wet trails. If we come across a flooded wash or anything dangerous, we'll turn around. I'm not risk tolerant.

Should we run into problems, we can simply backtrack down Constellation Road and take Buckhorn Springs, a notably easy trail. 

NFsCihZ.png

Vehicle Requirements:

Vehicle Minimums:

• All vehicles are required to meet state legal requirements, (i.e.: current registration and insurance)
  • Have functional seat-belts for each occupant
  • Must have suitable recovery points front and rear
  • Each vehicle must have a CB Radio or a Ham Radio in good working order
  • High-clearance 4x4's with low-range
  • 30"+ aggressive all-terrain or mud-terrain tires
  • Rear locker advised

Vehicle Recommendations:

Skid plates on important areas such as transfer-case & gas-tank, rock-rails, aftermarket differential covers, high-clearance metal bumpers, trimmed wheel wells, low axle gearing, upgraded axle shafts, 4:1 transfer case, 33"+ tires.

Other Considerations:

• Water
  • Lunch and snacks!
  • Dress for the weather
  • Hiking Boots or sturdy shoes (for the hike to the springs)
  • Folding chairs
  • Camera
  • Recovery Gear / Traction Aid
  • Emergency supplies / Med Kit
  • No facilities, plan accordingly

Comms:

CB Channel: 4

Ham Frequency: 146.46 MHz

Sign-Ups:

Rig Limit This trip is limited to 8 total rigs. Once the limit is reached, anyone asking to sign-up will be placed on the standby list. Please don't hesitate to sign-up as a standby because people often do drop-out so you may get to still go.

Post a reply in this thread saying you'd like to go and I'll put you on the roster!

1 - 4x4tographer (Ryan)

2 - @ob1jeeper

3 -

4 - @SonoranWanderer

5 - @gearhead

6 - @gold digger

7 - @theksmith

8 - @Rubicon 18

Standby List:

1 - 

2 - 

3 - 

D76F8124-F344-4EFA-857C-4A361309C2A9.jpeg

Edited by 4x4tographer
  • Like 1

Johnpa is in

• Like 1

Ryan, put me on standby, see you on Saturday

• Like 1

Ryan,

Add me as a standby, while I check schedules for possible conflicts...  Thanks, Steve....  ;)

• Like 1

same here, please put me on the standby list for now - looks interesting and it's near me, just not sure on schedule yet.

Johnpa will not be able to attend

• Like 1

looks awesome but I will be flying home from Charleston this day.  Have fun.  -Sarah

• Sad 2

Sorry for the delay...   We're happy to join you for the day Ryan...  ;)

• Like 1

If you do not mind taking  a newb out on his second run put me down as tentative. I won't know until Sunday  if I can go for sure, have to check on a few things.

• Like 1