dzJeepChic

10/23 - 10/25/2020: Offroad Passport's 11th Annual Dirt Formal Gala: Near Cottonwood, AZ: 4x4 EZ: Improved Campground

On 9/28/2020 at 5:13 AM, theksmith said:

who all is bringing kids and what ages? my Brady will be there, but 15 hardly qualifies as a kid anymore i guess :dont-know: - his friend with a JKU (16yo) is supposed to be attending as well.

don't forget to bring pumpkins and something to carve them with if you want to enter the contest! (details are in the first post of this thread)

Is he bringing Cards Against Humanity this trip?

• Haha 3

On 9/28/2020 at 5:13 AM, theksmith said:

don't forget to bring pumpkins and something to carve them with if you want to enter the contest! (details are in the first post of this thread)

Just a suggestion, but I highly recommend "pre-scraping" the guts out of your pumpkins before you come up.

Less hassle at camp and reduces the amount of leftover "biological material" sitting around in trash bags baking in the sun and attracting critters. 

Happy Halloween GIF by Fran Solo

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Devon and I were geocaching today near the campsite so we drove over to look at it.  We found 2 campers in 2 different spots, both looked like they had been there for a few days.  We drove on a bit but found the road deteriorated about 3/4 mile from pavement, enough to discourage trailers and Motorhomes.  We crossed over to the other side of 260 and checked over there, but didn't find any suitable sites.   If you are into Geocaching, there are several caches nearby.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Curly said:

Devon and I were geocaching today near the campsite so we drove over to look at it.  We found 2 campers in 2 different spots, both looked like they had been there for a few days.  We drove on a bit but found the road deteriorated about 3/4 mile from pavement, enough to discourage trailers and Motorhomes.  We crossed over to the other side of 260 and checked over there, but didn't find any suitable sites.   If you are into Geocaching, there are several caches nearby.

thanks for looking Tim! i felt like there were 3 general areas within the first 1/2 mile that were flat-ish, 2 of them bordering shade/trees better than the other - and yes, after that the road turns impassable to RVs.

i actually checked quite a few of off-shoots from the 260 and most spots within RV reach had a trailer or tent "saving" their spot :mad: (i was up on a weekday). i don't know if they are hunting camps or just people that drive their cars up from the valley for several weekends in a row?

i'll be going up Wednesday night or Thursday morning before the event to claim something and will post in this thread either confirming the spot or letting everyone know if there's a last minute change. even if this area is full, i feel confident we can find something within another 20 minutes of this location.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Not going to be able to make it.  Have fun everyone!!

• Sad 1

Please respond to the latest poll regarding Dirt Formal Gala games and contests!! Thanks!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I updated the the event prices of Offroad Passport Merch:

Event Special Prices!
Color Shirts: $10, White Shirts: $7
Dark Gray Digi Hats: $15

7MLDzlkN8ULrzKnn2W7CGhVVcomh6KgF8BF8Hk8-hmt0HccyUhB0-bnGMIEPSNxKjfTdYwttIYy0UKau2hS3OIWr60sgefnikZECaDK5wOLfMKIFeT4W3PyRTRo7__rVTdz2wCRLIaFsYI_u5fZnFsuDath1nWlt1Odp3tRxeYJMquB0jS-XjcGD5PnwgrSZ0Kga9cmhcEhQyFl4PzaQrLAwFzF2NkRyopwoRaTJo1RY9bSPRD0F3J7iG_TsIEd1y54b2m31Gio74QTNO3jONjYTaNoDtgbjmYsEtrFXXHtagNyRypoXNAVingKj0L5vQEqXlCR_6FMRwEpHX-qxeJMyVZ1FyRfMhEstbypUAeNsHzrPpmdOB5aq__pdxmB0VI6ZJgHKyQQWbOsP4GHyYzbO5JlNaUbFRTAetQ9IudOBjcHcBjOuZQhtzMzMEm08yzUtmNNysu2L9zaEmNZCGFTMgAkdhCmahQji9pdZLMb_5l3UWqwM_Oa2qlsyOdWtIa5gHFlcm_omFjNH466FcdImJnlrP8GvujslFHmBWqnyEiP1h6PXK57whAIUNCBnOMQ1aWJFWeXkM2vmZtnCtHfK6wMVof9lhVHFO4mT7AXelZd-mFrew-PZppZWPcBvTyT_bRBY_k8ef1HoSx2urA4_e_N6v3NF-y5E=w1521-h855-no

• Like 1

I may be a last minute...work has me for now but that may change

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Posted (edited)

For the optional Saturday trail ride...

I'll be leading Clover Springs (FR 142), which is an  easy to moderate rated scenic stroll through the pine forests and meadows of rim country. 

• The trail should be suitable for most stock high-clearance 4x4's. Skid plates are highly recommended.
  • Most of the trail is an unmaintained forest road and so there's a lot of pot-holes, ruts, small ledges and rocks sticking up that need to be avoided. There could be some muddy areas if it's recently rained. There are no really steep climbs or major off-camber areas that I am aware of.

• We'll depart the campsite at 9am sharp for the trail ride.
  • We're running the trail in reverse. From camp we'll drive on pavement up the 260 and 87 to the trailhead where we can optionally air-down and disconnect.
  • The trail will end back on the 260 just a couple miles east of our campsite, so you can air-up at camp if you want.
  • We should easily get back to camp in time for lunch (before 1pm), but be sure to bring plenty of water and some snacks.

Screen Shot 2020-10-06 at 6.58.13 AM.png

cloversprings.JPG

(photo from trailsoffroad.com)

Edited by theksmith
  • Like 2

I'm 99% sure that I'll be there.  I've never carved a pumpkin, so don't be surprised if mine looks like Nancy Pelosi.  A lot of people may be up there hunting/scouting.

• Haha 5