theksmith

Custom DRL's for my Jeep JK

all the newer vehicles lately come with full-on TRON level daytime running lights, and i'm jealous! and thus, i decided to add some DRL's to my Jeep JK.

i didn't want to straight up copy the new JL/JT fender lights (though i do love the look of the LED version), and i didn't want to make my rig look like a high-school kid's lowered Honda either - so i considered what to get and where to put them for a long time. i finally decided on a couple vertical strips mounted behind my black perforated grill insert.

6HR6rUTSx2Lpip7GGA8JNSJA6bipEB-VjOYBO7Y2

i used a pair of 6" Profile Pivot Switchback Strips and the Profile SuperStrips (smoked housings) for them.

tkb1UjGVzbRT-JeWPu2jr6bghY9jz3zQy7kF1tiS s3MuS2SuJKmKYd8GL6ccRPRWNoccU7qwPQPDkfms

i made custom mounting brackets out of some 1/2" wide by 1/16" thick aluminum bar stock and painted it flat black. you only barely notice the strips when they are off.

G615feerapGOWR_EeyiBe2J-88KWyG5Yk9zj1qnZ

i wired them to the factory fog-light harness and programmed the Jeep to enable fog-lights as DRL's. i also wired the existing front marker lights so they would come on with the strips.

the strips are "switchback" meaning normally white but they also have an amber input. i already had switchback LED bulbs in the factory blinker locations so everything on the front is white for DRL but each side flashes amber-off-amber as a turn signal.

0kTsQo5fcINBeFoOxdTObKEHDtZE69WlouI0bMi0

anything aftermarket or custom is of course a matter taste, but i like how it came out and i guess that's all that matters ;)

p4YEMTc-_v7svNFKKS9HknE7zAqyalsSeh1wZvlR

0p5nkMMYIwEOSk2RFnnc_rlHaqXOUi_QVITIhUqJ

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

Very clean installation Kris.

• Thanks 1

This looks siiiiiiiiick! 

Sick Dope GIF by Alex Trimpe

• Thanks 1