theksmith

Google Pixel 3 phone camera

Posted (edited)

i seem to be taking way more photos with my phone lately than my "real" point & shoot camera. however the old LG G6's lens had gotten so scratched up that everything was turning out hazy. i  was never really impressed with its camera anyway, despite having RAW capabilities.

so i upgraded to a used Google Pixel 3. the camera is ranked pretty well - not as good as the absolute latest Samsung or iPhone models, but i just couldn't see spending nearly a grand on a phone right now. the used Pixel 3 with a perfect screen but some scratches on the sides and back was $280.

i went out to test the camera a little yesterday afternoon.

• double-clicking the power button launches the camera and then the volume button works as shutter. that's similar to how my G6 worked and i was very happy to not lose that physical button shortcut.
  • camera overall produces sharp and colorful images. colors may be a tad oversaturated.
  • i found the "HDR+" setting is pretty realistic, only slightly heavy handed sometimes. the "Enhanced HDR+" setting is way too much for my tastes though. 
  • digital zoom still sucks (like on every camera) even with Google's AI algorithms that are supposed to make it better.
  • the pano and photo sphere features work well and are easy to access.
  • the portrait mode fake bokeh feature does not work well with nature photography. the lens will still give you a little bit of that shallow depth-of-field effect naturally though.
  • image stabilization works well with still photos in terms of preventing blurriness from shaky hands. i've haven't tested shooting video yet.
  • i haven't tested the much touted low light capabilities yet.

6_j7LuDSqjz4eD8pvi6AJ_T9zHmwNjKGfIR-i2A7

Zd4NTk6QyyBrY_4Gjp7pUG6Y60mwKcieeYWyJRD2

20UwGVJNEnqKbnQ8_Bm8YS4uXRUeJHx0x9OSK6zY

dAFDrndbzvCiYVpTejxnVJI8Nf5bY4bpLNuRPvJi

xslw7FYPI6MaejD1nH0QBCNoy7h6SG1SryVfop-W

k-ZHmDi9u8DaTFuvPABatiuIGuC8ZWdAhZulwQeU

C0lJk4sz8ZFmTj4n99aSuqcziAQv94HAucUxpygi

DgBWD3yYC1k3ANTOR78_hFmNg6AH_Ph8QaDAwEi2

Edited by theksmith
    • Like 1
    • Thanks 1

I think those are very excellent pics!  Well done!

smiles, ladybug

Nice! You just inspired me to google camera shortcuts for my phone. My volume key operates the shutter too, which means I don't need 2 hands to take pictures with it after all. Yeah! It's a game changer!

• Like 1