Offroad Passport

VOTE For Dirt Formal Gala Saturday Trail Ride / Activity POLL

Dirt Formal Gala Saturday Trail Ride / Activity POLL  

16 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Which Dirt Formal Gala Saturday activity appeals the most to you?

• Honanki Indian Heritage Site and Outlaw 4x4 Trail
    • Woodchute 4x4 Trail
    • House Mountain Trail
    • Tuzigoot
    • Verde Canyon Railroad
    • Sedona or Jerome Shopping & Sightseeing
    • Wine Tasting Around Page Springs
    • Other

Posted (edited)

Where do you want to go? I don't know, where do you want to go?

Hey everyone, we're planning Saturday's trail ride for the Annual Dirt Formal Gala, and would like your feedback.

Please vote for the Saturday activity that appeals the most to you. This is just for planning, so you're not committing to anything. We have several trail ride ideas, and there are also other fun activities in the area if folks would like to go off on their own, or get together a group. We've listed the 2 trails and a few alternate activities, and an 'Other', so we can get an idea of how many people will be on the actual trail ride, which trail is preferred,  and if we should organize an alternate activity.  

Vote for:

1. Honanki Indian Heritage Site & Outlaw 4x4 Trail

2. Woodchute 4x4 Trail

3. House Moutain 4x4 Trail

4. Tuzigoot

4. Verde Canyon Railroad

5. Sedona or Jerome Shopping & Sightseeing

6. Wine Tasting Around Page Springs Lead by Eugene

7. Other

Descriptions Below

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1. Honanki Indian Heritage Site & Outlaw Trail 

A. Honaki Ruins Hike: https://thehikehouse.com/trails/honanki-ruins

Honanki (Hopi for Bear House) Ruins sit at the base of Loy Butte on the sheltered west-facing cliffs. They are among the largest ancient population sites in the Verde Valley, occupied between AD 1130-1280. The site originally contained about 60 rooms. The cave is rich with pictographs; some date back to 2000 BC, long before the cliff dwellings. Most of the pictographs are from the Sinagua and date to AD 900-1300. Others by the Yavapai or Apache date from 1400-1875.

Hiking Distance:

0.4/0.8 miles (One way/Round Trip)

Time:

1 hour (Round Trip)

Elevation Change:

50 ft.

Difficulty:

Easy

B. Outlaw Trail: Ancient Indian ruins, seclusion, and wide open panoramic views are what you get with this off-road trail just outside of Sedona, Arizona. Starting off at the Honanki Indian Heritage site, this route travels 6.5 miles through the Coconino National Forest on an old, and much less traveled ranching road. Leave the people behind and enjoy the breathtaking views of the Sedona red rocks, Mingus Mountain, and many other surrounding mountain ranges. This is a nice and easy wheeling trail with lots of great scenery, and a few small challenging rock crawls to hone your off-roading skills. Video from Trails Offroad:

Difficulty:   2-4(EASY-MODERATE)

Length:       6.5 Miles

2. Woodchute 4x4 Trail:  Woodchute Trail is an easy, very scenic trail, near Jerome, AZ. There are panoramic views of the Verde Valley. The trail can be brushy in places (expect AZ pin-striping) and possibly tippy in one spot that tends to wash out but is easily navigable.

DSCN1736.JPG

IMG_9035-pano1-16.jpg

3. House Mountain 4x4 Trail, near Page Springs, 4x4 easy, scenic. Curly has graciously volunteered to lead. Description from Trails Offroad: This 12 mile out & back trail is a fantastic route to take during the busy traffic months, it is just south of Sedona and a bit of a locals secret! After heading 6 miles up to the top of House Mountain, you will drive right up to an amazing view of the Sedona red rocks from a very unique "back side" perspective, this is one of the few trails in the area that features an incredible 360 degree view of the surrounding towns. This is a great starter trail before heading into Sedona and tackling some of the tighter, more advanced trails. It is fairly smooth for the first section then becomes rocky with small shelves and ups and downs through many wash crossings.

Difficulty   2-4 (Easy to Moderate)

Length        6.2 Miles

4. Tuzigoot: Operated by National Parks, there is a fee to visit these ruins that are car accessible. Located just a couple miles from camp. There is a nice little museum and huge ruins, as well as a very short hike to an overlook of a marsh. https://www.nps.gov/tuzi/index.htm

DSCN1560.JPG

4. Verde Canyon Railroad: From the moment you step foot on one of our meticulously refurbished train cars, you and your family will be transported to a simpler, more leisurely time away from the distractions and annoyances of our modern world. Breathe deep, order a drink and relax as you glide along on a 3.5-hour, 20-mile journey through 110 years of history while still enjoying modern creature comforts like climate control, comfortable seating, thoughtful décor and awe-inspired scenery.

Train departs Saturday at 1PM

Prices range from $75 - $122 for Adults/$54-$99 for Kids

Reserve early

https://verdecanyonrr.com/

Verde Canyon Railroad & Historic Jerome Tours from Phoenix ...

5. Sedona or Jerome Shopping & Sightseeing: We will be in close proximity to both Sedona and Jerome, where there's lots of shopping, restaurants, and other things to do! There are wineries, gift shops, art and crafts, antique shops, Slide Rock State Park, and  Jerome Historic State Park.  

6. Wine Tasting Around Page Springs with Eugene  (Mike) has graciously offered to lead a side trip to taste wine.

Other: Let us know if you just want to do your own thing. No worries!

Edited by dzJeepChic

I'll lead a side trip to taste wine around Page Springs! 😄🍷

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

@Eugene That's so awesome! I added it to the poll!

Edited by dzJeepChic

Honakai ruins on a weekend will be busy with tourists. May I suggest some other local easy trails---House Mtn for views of Sedona, Blue Grade road up to Apache maid cabin and look out tower or a Hike along Parsons spring trail.

• Like 1

Lol can we include the wine tasting as a side trip on all of the options? 😂

Drunk Amy Schumer GIF

• Haha 2

@Curly Those are also good ideas. Would you be interested in leading an alternate trail? I've never been to the Honakai Ruins, or Outlaw Trail, so I'd still like to do them even if it's touristy.

Yes, I could lead an alternate trail.

• Thanks 1

@Curly Tell me which one, and I'll add it to the poll to see if there's interest.

House mountain trail. Local to Page springs as well.

• Thanks 1

Hey everyone, I've added new choices to the Poll.  A wine tasting tour with Eugene, and House Mountain trail with Curly. Thanks to both of you for offering to lead these!!