Hi all!

We're contemplating a camping trip out to Big Lake just outside of Alpine, AZ sometime in August. Anyone familiar with the area?

Any must-sees? Any known trails?

The seasonal temps look AWESOME that time of year.

TIA!

Ryan

I've never been to Big Lake, but just a reminder that August is still monsoon season. I did a rim camp trip with lady bug and others from this group the 1st week of August.  We had a ton of rain.  Really cut down on the fun.  :(

• Like 1

I can't think of many trails, other than wandering around on the forest roads. While beautiful, they are well maintained. If you are a fly fisherman, I can give you some suggestions. That general vicinity is one of my favorites in Arizona.

• Like 2

Like Kevin said, Not a lot of "Wheeling" trails but lots of forest trails/roads. Beautiful area for sure but you will get the rain in August so just prepare for it. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback guys! I looked up the "seasonal forecast" for the area (nearby Eagar, AZ) and you're absolutely right about the rain! I might be rethinking this plan. 🙃

N83hbAa.png

Its not bad up here that time of year, just be lots of people up in the area. Let me know when you guys are gonna be up here and I'll come hang out. Lots of neat forest roads and what not to travel on in the area.

• Like 1

It's a really nice lake.  If they still rent boats, you should get one.  The fishing from shore isn't great.  The last time I camped there, a bear destroyed my ice-chest just for hot dogs.

• Like 1

On 6/4/2020 at 8:41 AM, AZRNintheJeep242 said:

Its not bad up here that time of year, just be lots of people up in the area. Let me know when you guys are gonna be up here and I'll come hang out. Lots of neat forest roads and what not to travel on in the area.

Thanks for the insight guys! We ended up booking a site up at Apache Trout Campgrounds!

BTW, the Recreation.gov site is pretty sweet. Their app is solid as well for iOS. Give it a shot sometime!

• Like 1

@4x4tographer I've had an account at recreation.gov for a long time, and I agree. I used it every year to book the Cinders. I think I also got our place to stay in Truckee CA on the way to Sierra Trek there. It is a handy website.

• Love 1

19 hours ago, 4x4tographer said:

Thanks for the insight guys! We ended up booking a site up at Apache Trout Campgrounds!

BTW, the Recreation.gov site is pretty sweet. Their app is solid as well for iOS. Give it a shot sometime!

Yeah, love their app. I used it to book my campsite in Prescott after that Hyde mountain run in October of last year.

• Like 1