jgaz

Hiker Fatality in GCNP last Tuesday

No news to anyone but this week has been HOT.

I know at least some of you hike and all of us have that chance of a breakdown that could lead to an unintended hike.  Maybe you’re wheeling solo?  
I know it’s not recommended....but.

Don’t let this be you:

https://www.nps.gov/grca/learn/news/hiker-fatality-on-south-kaibab-trail-in-grand-canyon-national-park-june-26-2020.htm

Obviously I don’t know the circumstances in this case,  such as when they started the hike, level of preparedness, etc.  

But given the time that the NPS medics responded the hikers may have started way too late in the morning or maybe  early afternoon.  
The South K trail has no water and almost no shade during the hottest part of the day.

Hike prepared everyone.

Bring plenty of water, salty snacks, electrolytes, hat, and common sense.  
Don’t be afraid to wait until the sun is lower in the sky,  (you do have a flashlight don’t you?)

A PLB isn’t a bad idea either.

Be careful out there!

• Sad 3

thanks for posting Jim - i just saw this story on FB earlier. it's a sad reminder of how fast the heat can get you here during the AZ summer.

never leave the house without WATER, WATER, WATER - in your rig or on foot.

• Like 1

A sad reminder to be prepared for the conditions...   Condolences to the family...

Very sad story.  A lot of people from other parts of the world just don't understand how hot Arizona weather can be! And the Grand Canyon is deceiving, because you'd think it would be at a higher/cooler elevation, but it's hotter down in the canyon than some of our cities highs. Hiking in Arizona is no joke, and requires an even higher level of preparedness and physical stamina. 

• Like 1