theksmith

Most of Tonto NF closed for July 2020

KNXV%20Viewpoint%20Fire%20near%20Prescot

Most of Tonto will be closed from this weekend till at least end of July due to extreme fire conditions.

An overview of what's till open here: https://www.abc15.com/news/state/tonto-national-forest-to-close-before-fourth-of-july-weekend-due-to-wildfire-concerns

The full order from the NF: https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd759512.pdf

• Like 2

This has been the worst fire season I can remember in a long time! Some alarmist posted to the facebook AZVJC that all Tonto trails were going to be closed until May 2022! He didn't substantiate his claim, and I couldn't find anything at the time, so let's hope he was wrong, and just trying to instill panic. 

• Wow 1

On 7/1/2020 at 11:12 AM, dzJeepChic said:

This has been the worst fire season I can remember in a long time! Some alarmist posted to the facebook AZVJC that all Tonto trails were going to be closed until May 2022! He didn't substantiate his claim, and I couldn't find anything at the time, so let's hope he was wrong, and just trying to instill panic. 

Honestly, 90% of the stuff posted in the AZVJC needs to be taken with a few pounds of salt I have found.  Lots of blowhards in that group.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Today I worked with the Ranger in Spur Cross conservation area north of Cave Creek.  I volunteer there once a week doing trail work etc.  

At Spur Cross we have Tonto National Forrest on two sides of our park with at least three trails that enter the Tonto.

I asked the ranger if he knew anything about how long the Tonto would be closed.  
He said at least thru July and maybe later depending on Monsoon action.

He’s heard nothing about it being closed long term, so........?

Diane is right, this is a terribly bad season for fires.  I’m afraid with all the invasive weeds and grasses we are dealing with now that a very elevated fire danger season will become the new normal.

Edited by jgaz
  • Thanks 1