4x4tographer

15 AUG 2020: Day Trippin' - CK/Senator/Poland Trail | 4x4 Easy-Moderate

Posted (edited)

Sat, 15 August, 2020: Day Trippin' through CK to Senator to Poland Trail near Prescott, AZ | 4x4 Easy-Moderate

Ju3RxpI.png

This is an all day trip from the bottom of the CK Road at i17 through Crown King, up the Senator Highway, and connecting to the Poland Trail - ending just north of Mayer off of AZ-69.

***Out of respect and consideration for others, please observe social distancing guidelines on this trip***

TRIP INFO:

Meeting Location: The bottom of the "front way" to Crown King just off the i17 (map)

Please ensure you fuel up prior to meeting up at the "trail head".

Timing: 7:30am meet up. Depart at 8:00am.

Trail Difficulty: Easy to Moderate

The day may include narrow shelf roads, mild off-camber, loose rock/boulders. 

Trail Description: 

We'll meet up at the the "bottom" of the Crown King Road and head west into the Bradshaw Mountains. We'll climb into Crown King (not sure if anything is open that early) and take the old Senator Highway north through the Prescott NF. Before we hit Prescott, we'll veer east near Mount Union, one of the tallest mountains in the area down Poland Road. This trail will take us through the historic village of Breezy Pines, all that remains of the Poland mining community. If we're up to it, we'll go on a very brief walk to check out the Walker Tunnel, which was once part of Murphy's Impossible Railroad that moved supplies and ore from between Prescott and the Crown King Mine. Our day will end right at the AZ-69, just north of the town of Mayer.

1. Crown King Road (easy) - graded, high-speed dirt road from the desert into the pine forest surrounding the small town of Crown King.
  2. Senator Highway (easy) - well known and well worn trail leading from CK north to Prescott.
  3. Poland Road (moderate) - taking us to a max of 7,600 ft, this road is bumpy/bouldery with some mild technical sections, and filled with history.

Total off-road mileage is just about 68 miles.

• For information on Prescott NF COVID-19 disruptions, please click here.
  • Fire Restrictions (as of the time of this post) are at STAGE 2: information here.

Additional Considerations:

• Dress for the weather!
  • Bring a chair!
  • Bring a lunch and plenty of water, we'll be out there all day
  • Sunscreen!
  • Bring a camera!
  • Emergency supplies / Med kit
  • Fire extinguisher

VEHICLE REQUIREMENTS:

Vehicle Minimums:

• All vehicles are required to meet state legal requirements, (i.e.: current registration and insurance)
  • Have functional seat-belts for each occupant
  • Must have suitable recovery points front and rear
  • Each vehicle must have a CB Radio or a Ham Radio in good working order
  • High-clearance 4x4's with low-range
  • 30"+ aggressive all-terrain or mud-terrain tires

GPX FILES:

Crown King Road - © Trails Offroad.gpx

Senator Highway - © Trails Offroad.gpx

Poland Road - © Trails Offroad.gpx

COMMS:
CB Channel: 4
Ham Frequency: 146.46 MHz

Rig Limit: This trip is limited to 8 total rigs. Once the limit is reached, anyone asking to sign-up will be placed on the standby list. Please don't hesitate to sign-up as a standby because people often do drop-out so you may get to still go.

Post a reply in this thread saying you'd like to go and I'll put you on the roster!

***Out of respect and consideration for others, please observe social distancing guidelines on this trip***

Attending:

1 - @4x4tographer (lead)

2 - @CAVU2

3 - @gearhead

4 - @AshtonPJ (new member!)

5 - 

6 - 

7 - 

8 - 

Standby:

1 - 

Edited by 4x4tographer
  • Thanks 2

Put me down as a possible for this.  Got to see how things pan out since I am starting a new job end of the month and also trying to get time off to go to Colorado to do Black Bear Pass, Imogene Pass & Ophir Pass at the end of august

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, AZRNintheJeep242 said:

Put me down as a possible for this.  Got to see how things pan out since I am starting a new job end of the month and also trying to get time off to go to Colorado to do Black Bear Pass, Imogene Pass & Ophir Pass at the end of august

Will do. CONGRATS on the new job!

Man, I'd love to make a pilgrimage someday to CO to hit the holy trinity of trails up there.

• Like 1

I am interested please sign me up

• Like 1

Just an FYI, I did this trail on a Saturday, going the same way. It was nuts! 90 SXS on the trail! Yes, 90! They all were headed to CK from Mayer, they all thought they were the only ones on the road.  Charging around blind corners with out slowing down.  Several near collisions.  It was a group run, they had a guy in a jeep leading, he was the one who gave us the heads up about how many were coming.  Be aware, it is a fun but popular trail.

• Wow 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Curly said:

Just an FYI, I did this trail on a Saturday, going the same way. It was nuts! 90 SXS on the trail! Yes, 90! They all were headed to CK from Mayer, they all thought they were the only ones on the road.  Charging around blind corners with out slowing down.  Several near collisions.  It was a group run, they had a guy in a jeep leading, he was the one who gave us the heads up about how many were coming.  Be aware, it is a fun but popular trail.

Good lord thats a crazy huge group! Thanks for the heads up Curly! The number of SXSs drive me nuts on the Backway to CK with music blasting. 😑 I feel like I'm having to pull over every 15 minutes to let 10 of them pass.

I've never run Poland Road before, but it looks pretty awesome. Anything interesting we should keep an eye out for?

I've been trying to plan runs in the mountains to get out of this darn heat. 🥵

• Like 1

Nothing special that I can recall. Just a nice drive in the Mtns. I've done it several times on a weekday, we saw little to no traffic.

• Like 1

Looks like I am not gonna make.  My orientation schedule is in hand and would be a late night for me getting home after this run to be up at 0530 to go to work.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Please sign me up.  Thanks.

• Like 1

this tunnel has been on my list, but unfortunately we will be out of town - take lots of photos!

• Like 1