theksmith

Nemesis Industries Notorious JK aluminum flares install

i'm working on installing Nemesis Industries' Notorious front & rear aluminum flares on my 2016 JKUR. the Notorious rears are similar width to stock and the fronts are a couple inches narrower. Nemesis also offers Odyssey (full-width) and Crawler (narrow) versions.

old front flares off, ready for something new:

ACtC-3dPKJ4anVkHEFTC77fCa4N2_pQfIxHgAU5y

i always liked the look of aftermarket flares, but they had been low on the priority list until i recently trashed my stock rears pretty bad. all 4 of my flares had been heavily scratched and pitted for a while and the color-matched OEM flares are really difficult to touch up because the plastic gouges so easily even with tree limbs.

ACtC-3cY7vrRErexVZ0IV4Jpztj0gA7iBQARZCrF

ACtC-3fjzO6z85Sn3WY822dibeq2Ah9B_q76eNUf

i still love the look of body color-matched flares, but i'm just using spray paint on these new Nemesis ones because i'm sure i'll need to touch them up eventually too. i just couldn't justify paying a body-shop for a professional paint job on something i know i'll be damaging. i do hope them being slightly narrower helps them stay out of the rocks a little better though.

ACtC-3cbjtduSBQtAe_nS9ocll-YxCZb6ySVZu9q

i ordered the new Notorious front and rear flares separately just to space out my large purchases a bit. the fronts arrived last week, well packaged and damage free.

ACtC-3ccYPFy539DO4vtVs848q_fDhYsM48tbj8q

Nemesis'  online instructions for installing the flares are very detailed and easy to follow. it's pretty straightforward with only a couple reinforcement brackets on each side and a few holes to drill.

first test-fit and marking where to drill:

ACtC-3dky795Xoxbz5LQM2zDoXISkAz1SdpwriVq

upper aluminum support bracket:

ACtC-3duBAOtslRtvDFWf3YyqYs2Isil0-nS7s8h

the lower support bracket turned into its own project on the passenger side because of my K&N snorkel...

on the driver side you can see how the lower brackets are supposed to install:

ACtC-3cqR7RJXVVisiO2FFCOli2MGaaNmRC1Li3u

the snorkel routes though that exact spot though:

ACtC-3cf5dWvTRav5gIC6RMYxkfH_lKhuuuSXYvE

i was able to cut the bracket into a couple pieces and make it work around the snorkel.

ACtC-3dwbYMNpCQRpS4sJqIGqw0QKHSBMCbP3Zd-

ACtC-3dV0cKvcJ_T1zVj_s2Miu5ZLIMBQfduk0d1

ACtC-3c6SOgcvrP9nEbksArdFXfNwkjDMTs23LHQ

after all that, i was ready to paint the flares.

i ordered the "raw" flares but you can also get them powder coated black from Nemesis. the tops came well prepped (sanded), i just gave them a quick wash and scrub of mild vinegar solution with a 3M Red Scotch Brite sanding pad and then rinsed them and let dry.

i'm trying Rust-Oleum's Aluminum Primer on these instead of the self-etching primer that i've used before. it went on fairly heavy and was easy to get an even coat. it's a high-build soft primer that sands smooth easily.

ACtC-3eeMvgO2wSEOrknxxtpmC-gNpRAbOWUycI5

after priming and sanding, i put a couple coats of Krylon Fusion Satin Black on the under-sides.

ACtC-3eCOK2UyFcv_G25dEPDF1C_NL5yBGYZgw0S

this morning i taped the bottom sides off and put a first coat of Granite Crystal color match on the tops, and now they just need to sit and dry so i can put on a second coat and then i'll finish with a clear.

stay tuned!

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
  • Love 1

That’s a lot of paint

stoned homer simpson GIF

cant wait to go out and scratch em all up again with you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

painting the top side is being a beeyotch!

i had bought both Dupli-Color's Perfect Match in Granite Crystal as well as some official Mopar 68183830AB and figured i would do the final coat with whichever matched better. i couldn't really tell a difference in color, but neither one sprayed great. the Dupli-Color has a nice wide pattern but all 3 cans kept spitting and sputtering. the Mopar paint comes in tiny little cans but sprays consistently. the only downside to the Mopar, besides cost, is the small circular spray pattern.

the spray pattern and the fact that it's just too hot out made getting an even coat of the metallic really difficult. i finally got a slightly better coat when it was cooler at 2am this morning.

ACtC-3f0hdsInNvs952H8wTxQhjO14BWHr5aJPgd

just after the sun was up, my first coat of Dupli-Color Clear Coat was actually going pretty well...

ACtC-3eUAy4UMeSj7JOwcIVG6oIV_aTEx1nJdCw9

until one of the spray cans dripped a couple giant boogers - now i have to wait for that flare to dry really well and try to sand those out, d@mn1t! 

ACtC-3dGrWBqY3DV6c4UO5OSRVQsQrmVIfOM23_U

i'm going through more paint than i expected as well. so in retrospect, i might should have just had one of those cheap ghetto body shops downtown paint them!

Edited by theksmith
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)

ACtC-3cher09sAE7MGmFtS_5WUNJ4-UdEVuThJ0h

ACtC-3dpRb9tBErmvC2yfTzhO_c4bbQ2iNPSQxyl

ACtC-3dVG9TnxpXxcSv7cK1dlAnzQJFN6ptqEmuk

ACtC-3cEZySsxRoE5FTN_1gVeAiAQgAPOhQPpH9y

Edited by theksmith
  • Like 1
  • Wow 1
  • Love 1

Those came out SO NICE K!!! 

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, dzJeepChic said:

Those came out SO NICE K!!! 

thanks D! i love the flares - my paint job on the other hand is not up to my standards. i guess they'll blend in OK once they get some desert pinstriping though!

they also really make my tires look tiny from certain angles. hopefully i can fill up the added space with some 37's early next year.

ACtC-3fSENE6tHJMlLCo2ZJiSWyEubVoPfbkGRtB

the rears still haven't shipped yet. Nemesis makes high quality stuff, but they certainly take their sweet time getting it to you.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

The flares look good Kris. 

It’s such a pain when you do all the prep and the can lets you down during the finish coats.

Have you ever used something like this to shake the heck out of a spray can?

MixKwik Tool https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0055S7DJS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_lmUhFbS80RNXT

I’ve had some luck in the past salvaging cans of Rust-Oleum by soaking the cans in hot water and shaking the heck out of them by hose clamping the cans to a long recip saw blade.   Just a thought 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, jgaz said:

The flares look good Kris. 

It’s such a pain when you do all the prep and the can lets you down during the finish coats.

Have you ever used something like this to shake the heck out of a spray can?

MixKwik Tool https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0055S7DJS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_lmUhFbS80RNXT

I’ve had some luck in the past salvaging cans of Rust-Oleum by soaking the cans in hot water and shaking the heck out of them by hose clamping the cans to a long recip saw blade.   Just a thought 

interesting options Jim, thanks for the tips.

i don't know if the Dupli-Color metallic cans were sputtering from not shaking them enough or what. i've got a couple more so i will definitely try to shake them better when i do the rear flares.

the one clear-coat can that dripped must have had a poorly aimed nozzle - spray had been hitting the edge of the can and pooling up in there without me noticing and that's what dripped. the other cans of clear did not have that issue.

Posted (edited)

the instructions are great, so here are just a few additional tips and tidbits about the install of the fronts...

- use anti-seize or even just a dab of grease on all the bolts. the stainless fasteners from Nemesis are a nice touch, but SS is a soft metal and the threads can get doinked slightly while trying to line up all the layers of metal, which makes it easy to cross-thread or gall them.

- a ratchet with a really small head and/or a wobble adapter along with a 3/16" allen head socket makes things way easier, a 1/2 ratcheting wrench is all but required as well since a driver won't fit in behind some of the places.

ACtC-3eMuVhCw-gshKcqdtEYwrvFsI7yCJ39Olvr

- the nut and washer is really hard to get on the bottom-most bolt, so i ended up just going ahead and putting in a riv-nut. the rear flares attach using a ton of those, so it's good to go ahead and buy a tool for them if you don't have one. i used this 14" one from Tacklife on Amazon, but a 16" would be better for these large inserts.

ACtC-3dXMlf3TqBIX9XbLrcbnCoh8xuAS3g2LtLa

- i mentioned having to cut-up the one inner support bracket to fit around my K&N snorkel. beyond that everything worked out well with the snorkel and the flares, i just had to leave a little extra width when trimming the factory inner plastic liner for that side:

ACtC-3c6xbY0BeFMzIUbC0DRSP9IXxkDQ56nEUFV

- the flares have a provision for a 3/4" marker light to replace the OEM side lights. it's barely visible so i guess it's really just for liability/legal reasons. Nemesis sells amber ones separately but i went with these white LED in smoked housing versions from Amazon to match my other lights.

ACtC-3dZksmtMEldkBPBBuq8CEaNQ8rlFbRpEdTl

- the flares include strips of adhesive foam to go on the inner top edge. i still had a problem with some sections pinching against the factory fenders which rolled the paint on the new flares and looked bad...

ACtC-3c-nm0u2Vg1YLMzhMOvPFSCmVyAI2VxMx1f

i ended up removing both flares, touching up those spots, and then getting some thicker foam from Home Depot. the thicker black foam shows and looks OK since i have a dark colored Jeep, but would not work on a light colored rig...

my recommendation would be to just ease that inner top hard edge with sandpaper pretty well before painting - that's my plan for the rears anyway.

Edited by theksmith
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, theksmith said:

interesting options Jim, thanks for the tips.

i don't know if the Dupli-Color metallic cans were sputtering from not shaking them enough or what. i've got a couple more so i will definitely try to shake them better when i do the rear flares.

the one clear-coat can that dripped must have had a poorly aimed nozzle - spray had been hitting the edge of the can and pooling up in there without me noticing and that's what dripped. the other cans of clear did not have that issue.

Sometimes nothing seems to help.  

I didn’t really stop to consider  that keeping a can warm wouldn’t be a problem out here in the summer.  
My hot water trick  was more effective I think when I was in Michigan.

• Like 2