theksmith

Nemesis Industries Notorious JK aluminum flares install

rear flares finally showed up today!

ACtC-3fm49XBNWRizCaZEzZl87NtrLkGf0nI3m9Q

also, i bought that can-shaker gadget that Jim recommended. it seems rock solid even with the extra tall 15oz primer cans - no worry of them flying loose while shaking! 

i'm not sure if it will help the sputtering on those cans of metallic color, but it beats shaking by hand any day!

ACtC-3eYnsAYtFFbYkZcXd-NGn-qhHlqZU_yF8KU

a friend asked me why i didn't just buy a paint gun yet, especially since i already have a decent size compressor... well, mainly because cleanup is a PITA! especially when going between several colors/types of paint. and i've just never really had a problem getting a decent job from spray cans until this project.

i'd already purchased enough paint to do all 4 flares, so i'm sticking with rattle-cans for the rears too. maybe i'll buy a gun for the next paint project!

• Like 2

That can shaker attachment looks waaaay nicer then my “red neck” shaker,  aka, two hose clamps and a long blade. 

Good luck

• Like 2

i also got a new gun handle for spray cans...

the old one on the right below only worked with small nozzles and would sometimes block some of the spray causing paint to pool up and make a big mess. the newer "Can-Gun1" on the left solves all those issues.

ACtC-3dilZZtKsGYfzJxVMTzGn2ULv65yo6EdmbI

ACtC-3c6a0QBFSRTapiIYrdkjABQAX1jr8YF0OEA

the main reason to use a trigger handle like these is to help get a more even coat - and after a bunch of spraying it keeps your finger from getting tired!

• Like 1

test fit done, holes drilled, riv-nuts in.

ACtC-3fpGcULD4_cOT1O18OgJgwhOy3k-GKoKlMs

prime & sand & repeat:

ACtC-3f4U9rAS7zABUXkUntfZAbWq5W6Uiy7k9pN

there are some options in terms of inner liners with the rear. i tried to trim and re-use the factory plastic liners, but that doesn't work out great. the back leaves a big area for dirt and mud to get trapped behind them.

ACtC-3ei-H6Inex-G24TfJFMqs-8iDn2NGpJDrpK

several companies including Nemesis sell aluminum liners. i decided to just paint the factory metal, for now anyway. there are several cracks and holes that should also be sealed up...

ACtC-3cx0IbUCF002q4SkSk7HQ7YUl1fefUql77O

i've had problems before with automotive seam sealer cracking when used on large spans, so i'm going to see how Flex Seal Tape will hold up instead.

ACtC-3fOdb4xZcESuzDag7ZrffdE8ccx_BubEk0b

sanding, sanding, always sanding!

ACtC-3fMWyo8JJkq4Uf97PQ1YdNegVpuM1nMtqrF

i should get a frequent shopper discount on Krylon Black Satin by now!

ACtC-3dJQ4Y43RnvZziUU7eapO584ldGXXEVkVtF

the black on the underside of the flares is also done and i just put a rough first coat of color on the tops this morning.

Edited by theksmith
  • Like 2

just laid down the first coat of clear on the rears.

ACtC-3c2AAnHC_68mXceHo4gukacEQzTh2Ks_eUY