shellback91

Fire Extiguisher

I found the thread(s) regarding fire extinguishers and wanted to run some I found by anyone with 2 cents to contribute.¬†ūüôā I am trying to decide between a Kidde AutoFX 5,¬†MAXOUT MX500B or a Kidde Pro.¬† I do not want to go cheap nor do I want to break the bank.¬† I am leaning towards the AutoFX5 because of the size.¬† Any similar types anyone can recommend?

Edited by shellback91
  • Like 1

look into Purple K or as an extinguishing agent for use inside a vehicle - i carry this little one...

however they are only B C, so i carry another regular ABC dry chem one for fires outside the rig. get the biggest one you're willing to carry, they empty much faster in an emergency that you think - in fact the tiny 1lb-ers are all but useless.

oh, @Bradywgn71 carries something a little different, maybe they can chime in on which one that is?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, theksmith said:

look into Purple K or as an extinguishing agent for use inside a vehicle - i carry this little one...

however they are only B C, so i carry another regular ABC dry chem one for fires outside the rig. get the biggest one you're willing to carry, they empty much faster in an emergency that you think - in fact the tiny 1lb-ers are all but useless.

oh, @Bradywgn71 carries something a little different, maybe they can chime in on which one that is?

Makes sense to me, I am taking the AutoFX5 off my list. 

Marty,

I have always carried a small, dry chemical (1A10BC) fire extinguisher, like this one.  Over the years, I have had to use it twice to put out engine fires (not on my own Jeep, but on others that I was wheeling with).  Both engine fires were caused by fuel leaks.  Both times, one fire extinguisher was not enough.   Fortunately, we had more fire extinguishers in our group and the second extinguisher was enough to put out the fire.

On my next Jeep, I plan to carry a couple Element Fire Extinguishers.

Russ

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

22 minutes ago, Russ Chung said:

Marty,

I have always carried a small, dry chemical (1A10BC) fire extinguisher, like this one.  Over the years, I have had to use it twice to put out engine fires (not on my own Jeep, but on others that I was wheeling with).  Both engine fires were caused by fuel leaks.  Both times, one fire extinguisher was not enough.   Fortunately, we had more fire extinguishers in our group and the second extinguisher was enough to put out the fire.

Russ

Thanks Russ. I have been researching for a couple of days and reviewed what you and Kris posted. I think after all that I have settled on this one or the one you posted, it will depend on which one I can find in stock. I do like those element ones too, maybe Santa will bring me one as a backup. ūüėÄ

• Like 1

11 hours ago, theksmith said:

We use an Element Fire Extinguisher in addition to a normal one. https://elementfire.com/

• Like 3

X2 on the Element Extinguisher.

I ran their info past a friend that’s a captain with with PFD.
 He said he could see no down side to the product other than cost and if you needed it that’s  irrelevant.   

• Like 2

On 8/4/2020 at 1:23 PM, Russ Chung said:

Marty,

Russ

@Russ Chung, do you feel one is adequate or would you order two based on Tim's story?

On 8/14/2020 at 1:09 PM, GRUNT said:

@Russ Chung, do you feel one is adequate or would you order two based on Tim's story?

Based on the video on the Element website, I think that one extinguisher would be sufficient, but I plan to purchase two.  Although they are expensive, they don't take up much room and they have a long shelf life.

• Like 1