shellback91

Shellback's Rubi

15 minutes ago, 4x4tographer said:

I really dig those man, it's a clever use of otherwise useless space. I didn't realize they came with a metal frame - I was wondering if they'd just flop about, but they look like they're not going anywhere!

The molle webbing is nice too. If you find you need for a "grab-and-go" type of deal, they make some pretty decent sized tear-away molle pouches. 

You are right, they're not going anywhere. The metal frame is sturdy and the velcro that wraps around the top and back keeps them in place for the most part.  I am looking into the molle pouches because I need something to store my first aid kit and a couple of small things in that can be removed easily. I do not want to leave it in the Jeep in the hell-scape we call summer.

Just put the same ones in our rig a couple of weeks ago. They feel sturdy and well built, no complaints so far.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, shellback91 said:

You are right, they're not going anywhere. The metal frame is sturdy and the velcro that wraps around the top and back keeps them in place for the most part.  I am looking into the molle pouches because I need something to store my first aid kit and a couple of small things in that can be removed easily. I do not want to leave it in the Jeep in the hell-scape we call summer.

You may have a pouch already in mind for your tear away first aid kit but I’ll share mine.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003TPNG5E/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_HADHW1ZBV05D06MPEFDC?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

It has a surprising amount of room and good access and organization.

Here its hanging behind the seat of my pickup.  The velcro seriously grabs the factory carpet.

0514B01A-F69F-4A30-97BB-CBCED5E59976.thumb.jpeg.c9c65ecef723e3cd3add07ff5b8a696f.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I installed a set of Fox 2.0 Performance Series Shocks i picked up  Shock Surplus. A big shout out @4x4tographer for letting me invade his garage and for the help with swapping them out.  Of course a couple other things have to be dealt with now including front bump stops, rear brake lines, rear diff breather and emergency brake line. So those items are on my to do list. I was thinking on the way home I probably should have gone with factory height rear shocks as the OEM ones had no extension and the new ones are about an inch longer. :damnit:  Another thing I did that I probably should not have done is use thread locker on one of the front shock upper nuts, I realized after that it was a Nyloc nut.  It was a PITA to tighten down and of course it was on the passenger side where the battery tray is in the way, :mad: At least I know that SOB isn't going anywhere,

At any rate they are on so now I am doing some research on what I need to fix the issues so I can get that process started.  @4x4tographer gave me a couple of ideas so I am chasing those down today.

All set to be installed,

Shocks1.thumb.jpg.3ca70a4ea8b7d5a06f7da3851b46a1ee.jpg

shock4.thumb.jpg.d92e58cd63b775f1190361fec9527017.jpg

shock5.thumb.jpg.c93c99c62dd4df673203f4c42aa55ac8.jpg

The stock shock rear bushings were dried and cracked so it is a good thing I got these replaced.

shocks2.jpg.f925215aca4e54d5330a38cc83a8d8ab.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 1

When I changed my shocks the rubber bushings were completely wasted and the metal sleeve inside one the bushings was actually broken.  Enjoy those new shocks Marty!  👍

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Trail Toy said:

When I changed my shocks the rubber bushings were completely wasted and the metal sleeve inside one the bushings was actually broken.  Enjoy those new shocks Marty!  👍

Thanks Jason! 

• Like 1

Even when it becomes a pita situation, it's always nice to add new shiny bits and pieces. Should make a world of difference.

• Like 2

Well look at you go!! Good job!!

smiles, ladybug

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Stacey and Scott said:

Even when it becomes a pita situation, it's always nice to add new shiny bits and pieces. Should make a world of difference.

Shiny new parts are always nice even if they are a PITA and make me cuss on installation! 🤣

4 minutes ago, Ladybug said:

Well look at you go!! Good job!!

smiles, ladybug

Thanks Karen! Having guys like Ryan helping out and working through post install testing is always a good thing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think I may have a name for my rig, I am leaning towards Betty Lou. There a song by Bob Seger called "Betty Lou's Getting out Tonight" that I like and that name just seems fitting for her. 🤔 Now on to the fun stuff.

I checked after a few days of driving to see how the new shocks were doing. I wanted to see if they needed to be snugged up after "settling" in. Rears and front driver were good, front passenger shock was a little loose. I could easily turn the shock body by hand  so it needed addressed. I managed to get my hands on a BFK  to re-trim the bottom of the battery tray where it gets in the way so I could get in there better. I also got my mitts on on a BFW  to I can grab the shock body and hold it without damaging it.  The knife worked awesome and so did the wrench.  Passenger side is snug and I gave the driver side front a little adjustment for good measure. They should both be good to go.

• Like 3