shellback91

Shellback's Rubi

NICE!  Glad to hear everything turned out good with your new shocks. 😎

• Thanks 1

Today I tackled a couple items related to the new shocks and the extra length they provide. I went to the auto part store and got 4'(Front) and 6'(Rear- Too Long for now) pieces of 5/16 fuel line so I could replace the diff breather lines with some longer sections. I am glad I pulled them out because I noticed the front valve needs replaced soon. I ran the front into the engine bay beside the master cylinder. I rerouted it to run beside the brake lines, not under where it can pull up when flexing. I did not want to cut it too short so I left some slack so I can adjust later when I test the flex.

I was going to run the rear into the taillight well and 6' gave me some room to work. After thinking about it I changed my mind and ran it it the same general area. It is up between the fender and the liner, still higher than before. The extra hose will also be dealt with when it gets flexed out.

The first and hardest thing was getting the PITA "Christmas tree"  clip out. I wound up cutting it because i did not plan to reuse it anyway. I bought this 1 in. Rubber Insulated Metal Clamp that I secured using a 1/4" hex bolt and Nyloc nut I ran through the hole where the clip was. From that point I ran it up between the liner to get it higher.  The hose it not tight but its not going anywhere either.

20210410_113856.thumb.jpg.297837bd537089b7ad3a028159bb52c8.jpg

I ran the hose through the cross member then up. I will adjust length eventually. No ones crawling down there to look at it anyways. 😆

20210410_120003.thumb.jpg.2d9d797eeed9916fec5ea151f5f50b8f.jpg

1776956337_RearDiffNew.thumb.jpg.3c40c648b6a3fd0bff2e5e6ad96d759d.jpg

I also installed these Rear Brake Line Relocation Brackets to give the brake lines more slack. They are for up to a 4" lift so I should be in good shape.There was nothing to do on the front because there are already relocation brackets there. I wanted to replace it with another heavier duty one I like better but whomever installed it really torqued it down and I did not want to break anything or round out the nut.

20210410_123620.thumb.jpg.058cd3071ed3439d687107763978baec.jpg

I made sure lines were not rubbing on the shocks. It's something to keep an eye on though just to be safe. The pics a little blurry but you can see where the line is in relation to the shock. Seems like a good spot to me.

20210410_171616.thumb.jpg.5d44d205e938ebe5dc87ab4e9470674b.jpg

• Like 3

To clean up another potential issue when flexing I  installed an Emergency Brake Line Relocation Bracket from Rugged Ridge.  This should give those lines a little more play and it keeps them tied down securely.

20210416_134209.thumb.jpg.cd82832a1e36835d83185bcbb63ebc0e.jpg

• Like 3

5 hours ago, shellback91 said:

To clean up another potential issue when flexing I  installed an Emergency Brake Line Relocation Bracket from Rugged Ridge.  This should give those lines a little more play and it keeps them tied down securely.

20210416_134209.thumb.jpg.cd82832a1e36835d83185bcbb63ebc0e.jpg

Thanks Marty (sarc), now I'm going to have to crawl under and check mine 🤔

• Haha 2

Looking good man! It’s all coming together!

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Stacey and Scott said:

Thanks Marty (sarc), now I'm going to have to crawl under and check mine 🤔

Sorry? 😀

• Haha 2

On 4/10/2021 at 4:24 PM, shellback91 said:

I think I may have a name for my rig, I am leaning towards Betty Lou. There a song by Bob Seger called "Betty Lou's Getting out Tonight" that I like and that name just seems fitting for her. 🤔 Now on to the fun stuff.

Betty Lou seems like a fine name!

On 4/10/2021 at 4:24 PM, shellback91 said:

I checked after a few days of driving to see how the new shocks were doing. I wanted to see if they needed to be snugged up after "settling" in. Rears and front driver were good, front passenger shock was a little loose. I could easily turn the shock body by hand  so it needed addressed. I managed to get my hands on a BFK  to re-trim the bottom of the battery tray where it gets in the way so I could get in there better. I also got my mitts on on a BFW  to I can grab the shock body and hold it without damaging it.  The knife worked awesome and so did the wrench.  Passenger side is snug and I gave the driver side front a little adjustment for good measure. They should both be good to go.

• Like 2

Big thanks to @4x4tographer again for helping me out with some suspension work,  I would also like to thank him and @Yodamom for letting me invade their garage and for feeding me pizza, I appreciate both.

Here is what we did.

We installed Metalcloak's 2"  Front Universal Adjustable Bump-Stop System and 2" Rear Universal Adjustable Bump-Stop System of which we only used one puck for 1" of "padding".  With the front bumpstops and the jounce I'll get about 2 1/4" of padding which should prevent bottoming out my shocks.

The rear appears to be good with just 1", I can add the other pad if needed. We also replaced the OEM Jounces with a full set of Metalcloak's  JK/JL Wrangler DuroSpring Replacement Bump Stops. Those were a joy to install and gave us a workout! 😆 Looking forward to getting out on the trail and see how they do.

Front jounce and bumpstop set.

35856731_Front1.thumb.jpg.d1b8d39c17a46876e4ec23cf08555d9c.jpg

Rear jounce and bumpstop set.

Reaer.thumb.jpg.3ebc754b895ac34e60aa5f5d3ace28d5.jpg

Better view of the front jounce .

Jounce.thumb.jpg.e01e48c332c0f1e1184c8cd7f39e501f.jpg

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Lets test out your rig tomorrow, sign up for my run! 😁

John Cusack Film GIF

Edited by Trail Toy
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Trail Toy said:

Lets test out your rig tomorrow, sign up for my run! 😁

John Cusack Film GIF

Thanks dude, I'd go but I have other plans unfortunately.

• Like 1