shellback91

Shellback's Rubi

14 hours ago, shellback91 said:

Front jounce and bumpstop set.

35856731_Front1.thumb.jpg.d1b8d39c17a46876e4ec23cf08555d9c.jpg

Happy to help man! 

Looking at that ride-height shot of the front, you might need to remove one puck on each side. It’s possible you might get into the bump pretty quick on higher-speed runs. Won’t really know until we get you flexed out and see how much up-travel you still have on the shock.

On mine I was hitting the new durosprings just coming out of my driveway (literally just a 1/2” gap between the extensions and the durospring bump stop). Ended up popping my 4” extensions out and cutting them in half (after I had to pull both stinkin’ coils out again). 

Lucky for you, you can just pull the pucks out between the springs without removing them! 

It’s one of those “try and see” things, unfortunately!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 4x4tographer said:

Happy to help man! 

Looking at that ride-height shot of the front, you might need to remove one puck on each side. It’s possible you might get into the bump pretty quick on higher-speed runs. Won’t really know until we get you flexed out and see how much up-travel you still have on the shock.

On mine I was hitting the new durosprings just coming out of my driveway (literally just a 1/2” gap between the extensions and the durospring bump stop). Ended up popping my 4” extensions out and cutting them in half (after I had to pull both stinkin’ coils out again). 

Lucky for you, you can just pull the pucks out between the springs without removing them! 

It’s one of those “try and see” things, unfortunately!

You may be be right, we shall see after testing it out. They are about 1" longer than stock at rest and about a 1/4" longer compressed, that needs to be added into the equation too. Adjustments are part of the fun of doing this stuff.  🙂

I have not run into them yet and I have been mildly "testing"  driving around. Nothing hits coming in or out of the driveway  or when I hit the dips in the neighborhood that I noticed. 

• Like 2

I measured the space between the front  jounce and BS pads as best I could, I took a little better picture too. (I think) Based on my measurements at ride height I have approximately 2"  between the two.

20210425_083522.thumb.jpg.75023462970e925637c11aa57a9c2ee9.jpg

40 minutes ago, shellback91 said:

I measured the space between the front  jounce and BS pads as best I could, I took a little better picture too. (I think) Based on my measurements at ride height I have approximately 2"  between the two.

20210425_083522.thumb.jpg.75023462970e925637c11aa57a9c2ee9.jpg

FYI, Metalcloak informed me that their jounce bumpers will compress down to about 1/2" minimum, whereas the factory ones will compress completely up into the cup on an extremely hard bump.

so, with the rig sitting on the ground at normal ride height... your total possible up-travel is measured from the top of your extension pads to the bottom of the metal cup that holds the jounce bumpers, then subtract a half inch. as long as that number is slightly less than the length of exposed shock shaft, you are safe from over-compressing (i.e. "bottoming-out") your shocks.

keeping the tires out of the fender flares and/or bumper during extreme articulation or a hard landing is the other major function of the jounce bumpers & extensions. you typically start with the minimum extension required to not bottom-out your shocks, then add more only if you're tires are rubbing something.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, theksmith said:

FYI, Metalcloak informed me that their jounce bumpers will compress down to about 1/2" minimum, whereas the factory ones will compress completely up into the cup on an extremely hard bump.

so, with the rig sitting on the ground at normal ride height... your total possible up-travel is measured from the top of your extension pads to the bottom of the metal cup that holds the jounce bumpers, then subtract a half inch. as long as that number is slightly less than the length of exposed shock shaft, you are safe from over-compressing (i.e. "bottoming-out") your shocks.

keeping the tires out of the fender flares and/or bumper during extreme articulation or a hard landing is the other major function of the jounce bumpers & extensions. you typically start with the minimum extension required to not bottom-out your shocks, then add more only if you're tires are rubbing something.

Thanks @theksmith, I have been looking for this kinds of information for a little while now so I appreciate it. I had a hard time getting accurate measurements but here is what I found. Up front I have about  3 3/4" +/-1/8" of shock shaft. From the bottom of the cup to the top of the pads(not where the both head and plate is) there is about 4 1/4"  +/-1/8" .

This either leaves me dead even and bottoming out my shocks, if true I do not think that's a good spot. Now I have a dilemma, If I add another inch of bumpstop padding that only leaves about an inch between pads and jounce.  That's too close I believe. Once I get it flexed out I will have to decide what I am going to do, if anything, based on those results.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, shellback91 said:

Thanks @theksmith, I have been looking for this kinds of information for a little while now so I appreciate it. I had a hard time getting accurate measurements but here is what I found. Up front I have about  3 3/4" +/-1/8" of shock shaft. From the bottom of the cup to the top of the pads(not where the both head and plate is) there is about 4 1/4"  +/-1/8" .

This either leaves me dead even and bottoming out my shocks, if true I do not think that's a good spot. Now I have a dilemma, If I add another inch of bumpstop padding that only leaves about an inch between pads and jounce.  That's too close I believe. Once I get it flexed out I will have to decide what I am going to do, if anything, based on those results.

totally agree, let's get you flex tested before you make any changes.

• Like 2

@theksmith and I took my rig out today to flex test after the shock upgrades and other related work.  After getting the rig flexed out in different spots we checked everything out and found no brake fluid spewing hoses on the flexed side. On the "compressed" side there was a little over a 1/2" of shock shaft left exposed. There was no wheel rub on the fenders or bumpers either. I also noticed on the drive down to the flex spot that the ride felt better on the new shocks.

Thanks to @theksmith for helping me flex it out and the advice during the upgrade. Thanks again to @4x4tographer for all the help getting everything installed and dialed in.

20210428_163336.thumb.jpg.3594f564ce9eb5ea3103413480336115.jpg

20210428_164212.thumb.jpg.b1300c9c931d8537a6a15d15d5b74b99.jpg

20210428_163312.thumb.jpg.0f4dd49fd7f1cff91745731f76a7273e.jpg

20210428_164233.thumb.jpg.bfd85056afbff1a9bba8f476c12fa8d4.jpg

20210428_164549.thumb.jpg.230405e1dd64f7ff594297b7d452d4fd.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 1

5 minutes ago, shellback91 said:

20210428_164212.thumb.jpg.b1300c9c931d8537a6a15d15d5b74b99.jpg

Oh damn son! That looks great! Glad it all worked out for you. Sounds like you’re “done” (for now) 🤣

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, 4x4tographer said:

Oh damn son! That looks great! Glad it all worked out for you. Sounds like you’re “done” (for now) 🤣

Thanks! Done is such a relative word in the grand scheme of the Jeep world, isn't it? 🤣

• Haha 4