shellback91

Shellback's Rubi

Nice, love the look.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I have been getting lots of dust in the back of my Jeep and I could not figure out why. I have also been finding little pieces of weather stripping type material  on the ground every time I opened my tailgate, but could not find the source. Then I remembered @theksmith posted something about the "the flapper vent doohickey" on Gadget  a while ago.  I checked mine and sure enough that thing was toast. I picked up a new one from Mopar Wholesale Parts in Avondale and installed it today.

This the old one, it was in bad shape. It has the outline of where the seal used to be around the edge, but no seal or anything else for that matter. 😬

20210808_085552.thumb.jpg.758adac01c2562d4514f86799a7a3974.jpg

Cleaned up the tailgate while I was at and installed the new one. 🤘

20210808_090104.thumb.jpg.a008e690ba9347de5c8983e5e4a696ea.jpg

Edited by shellback91
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

That's funny, when I had my carrier off yesterday I yanked that plastic chuck of shit out and threw in in the trash.  Figured it serves no purpose and has been rattling back there since before I bought my rig.  No point in installing another one and the vents on the inside of my tailgate will get covered with duct tape.  Reason for covering with duct tape is some of the vent slats broke off leaving sharp edges and I don' want my air mattress to get cut from those sharp edges.

Edited by Trail Toy
  • Like 1

I have been researching ways to carry extra fuel on my rig so I can start doing longer runs, I landed on what I think was the best option for me. The purchase of this  set up was part of my birthday spending spree. 🤣 

I went with the Rock Slide Engineering EZ Rack solution. I like to have scalability so I went with the dual plate option instead of just one. I like this because it is not a permanently mounted solution and can be removed when not in use. I will be upgrading my hinges soon after which I will add the second plate.  Then I can add whatever I need to down the road. 

For fuel storage I decided to go with a 3.5 Gallon FuelpaX  container which is attached to the plate with a DLX Pack Mount from RotoPaX. I am not running the Serengeti so this should be good for now.

Attached the pack mount directly to the plate as recommended. Used some thread locker and marked the bolts so I can be alerted to any movement. This shows them in the wrong spot, I realized after they had to go on the outside holes so I moved them. Doh! However, it is essentially what it looked like after I moved them.

20210808_100341.thumb.jpg.132ac06f47bc41ff318ca3a5862165b8.jpg

Ready to roll.

20210808_103932.thumb.jpg.c3c2d1b376f93fc1c6a84f8ddc2dc41b.jpg

20210808_103839.thumb.jpg.30be9c3178bab4209b51e7bc89af0834.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, shellback91 said:

I have been getting lots of dust in the back of my Jeep and I could not figure out why. I have also been finding little pieces of weather stripping type material  on the ground every time I opened my tailgate, but could not find the source. Then I remembered @theksmith posted something about the "the flapper vent doohickey" on Gadget  a while ago.  I checked mine and sure enough that thing was toast. I picked up a new one from Mopar Wholesale Parts in Avondale and installed it today.

This the old one, it was in bad shape. It has the outline of where the seal used to be around the edge, but no seal or anything else for that matter. 😬

20210808_085552.thumb.jpg.758adac01c2562d4514f86799a7a3974.jpg

Cleaned up the tailgate while I was at and installed the new one. 🤘

20210808_090104.thumb.jpg.a008e690ba9347de5c8983e5e4a696ea.jpg

wow that's shiny!

36 minutes ago, shellback91 said:

I have been researching ways to carry extra fuel on my rig so I can start doing longer runs, I landed on what I think was the best option for me. The purchase of this  set up was part of my birthday spending spree. 🤣 

I went with the Rock Slide Engineering EZ Rack solution. I like to have scalability so I went with the dual plate option instead of just one. I like this because it is not a permanently mounted solution and can be removed when not in use. I will be upgrading my hinges soon after which I will add the second plate.  Then I can add whatever I need to down the road. 

For fuel storage I decided to go with a 3.5 Gallon FuelpaX  container which is attached to the plate with a DLX Pack Mount from RotoPaX. I am not running the Serengeti so this should be good for now.

Attached the pack mount directly to the plate as recommended. Used some thread locker and marked the bolts so I can be alerted to any movement. This shows them in the wrong spot, I realized after they had to go on the outside holes so I moved them. Doh! However, it is essentially what it looked like after I moved them.

20210808_100341.thumb.jpg.132ac06f47bc41ff318ca3a5862165b8.jpg

Ready to roll.

20210808_103932.thumb.jpg.c3c2d1b376f93fc1c6a84f8ddc2dc41b.jpg

20210808_103839.thumb.jpg.30be9c3178bab4209b51e7bc89af0834.jpg

looks like a great solution!

• Like 2

Today I upgraded my tailgate hinges. I did this to avoid any issues in the future caused by the extra weight that's hanging off the tailgate. I went with the MORryde Tailgate Hinge Set as the replacements.  I decided to paint underneath the old hinges with some Mopar Touch Up Spray Paint instead of leaving it bare . I also touched up the areas with the thinner paint from the factory.

One of my favorite things about doing some of these projects is getting new tools. Because these hinges need greased I bough me a Pittsburgh Automotive 3 oz Grease Gun. The only negative about this gun for me is the rigid grease pipe and based on reviews the zerk fitting seems to have issues releasing. I fixed that by getting me an 18" flexible hose and quick release coupler.

I put a wood block wrapped in a microfiber cloth on each corner to keep the tailgate from moving.  The fit was snug enough I did not need any of the wood shims I bought.

1980005528_Hinge1.thumb.jpg.d46385524c2d03dbbf2d79ebef5cc9ce.jpg

Paint touched up in the areas I wanted touched up.

1993085024_Hinge2.thumb.jpg.aa580f6b7e872753d28249519398f76a.jpg

Rinse and repeat for the bottom and I was done.

1353230514_Hinge3.thumb.jpg.6f4b19bd357e8833d8f469ed0e3adb1f.jpg

Edited by shellback91
  • Like 5

Those hinges look familiar... 🤣

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Trail Toy said:

Those hinges look familiar... 🤣

Do they now?  🤣 

• Haha 1

Today was a maintenance/spa day for Betty Lou. I am documenting here so I have all my parts and intervals in one place. If someone needs links to parts they have them too.

• Replaced the cabin air filters with these from Amazon  @theksmith recommended. I am going to start replacing these every 10,000 miles or 12 months, whichever comes first. I always forget about them and haven't checked them in a while, they were in rough shape. 😬
  • Changed the oil using  6 quarts of Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-30 Full Synthetic. I hunted around and no one I checked carried it in stock. Wal-Mart had the best price out of everyone and the quickest delivery this time. I need to settle on an oil whether it be this one or just The Pennzoil Platinum Full Synthetic most places carry.
  • I replaced the oil filter with a Mopar Oil Filter I picked up from Mopar Wholesale Parts. I see mileage intervals for oil & filter change at 3k, 5k or even 7k, I am going to shoot the gap and do it every 4,000 miles. This will make a few things easy to track.
  • Air Filter was also replaced with  one I picked up from Mopar Wholesale Parts. This will get done every other oil change unless it needs it sooner.
  • Had a 5 tire rotation done. That service is included in the tire purchase so I am taking advantage of it. By setting my oil change interval at 4,000 miles it will help me keep track of my tire rotation.  This will get done around every other oil change. Probably excessive but it's what is recommended based on what I have read.
  • Checked my tailgate hinges to see if they needed grease, they did not so all was well there.
Edited by shellback91
  • Like 1